New Service or add through existing house system?

Users who are viewing this thread

KSB

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've learned a lot from this site and am hoping some of you can help me.
I have small house and am adding 6 rental cabins and am having trouble
figuring out water supply.
there is currently a 60ft well with standing water at 15ft, Grundfos 15GPM 1/2hp pump to house
with SQE CO 301 brain.
Initally was going to do second pump and systme but I'm low on funds and trying to figure
line from house.
farthest cabin is 300 ft with over all run to all 450.
can I add water booster pump from house after house system?
or a second pressure tank?
or CSV?
I'm very limited on knowledge of all this and hoping for some answers.

Cabins are studio with shower toliet sink kitchen sink on demand water heater
cabins are same elevation as house.
water line is 1" to house and to all cabins
there is 2nd pitless in well but uncertainty in size of 2nd pump and design of system
and running low on funds to implement so looking for solution for this summer.

looking at putting bootser pump
Grundfos 98562818 SCALA2 3-45 AVCBDF 1x115V 60 Hz Pressure Boosting Pump
after house????

Thanks for any input.

KSB

We put pressure valve on farthest cabin and it was 50 and went to 7 after opening up other 5. after setting cu 301 to 90 and valve showed 90 at farthest cabin it went to 10 after opening up other 5. house pressure stayed good both times.
do I need a bigger pump? would CSV with this 1/2 hp and 15 gal min work? or bigger pressure tank? currently have 2 gal pressure tank.

I'm thinking i could put a pump above the well with CSV and run above ground line to first cabin to connect to system and supply all the others and stay seperate from the house? any recommendations on pumps?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Again you can't boost water you don't have. You can't hook up a 20-30 GPM booster pump to a submersible that can only supply 15 GPM.

Now if you use a cistern for the well pump to fill, then you can use whatever size booster pump you want drawing from the cistern.
Like this.
LOW YIELD WELL_ CENTRIFUGAL_PK1A.jpg

KSB

Reaction score
hi,
I guess i'm not being clear and there's some confusion as initially i mentioned a booster pump.
but giving that idea up
i'm talking about a 2nd well pump seperate from the house. the well should have plenty of water as this area is reputed to have endless supply.
there's a 2nd pitless in the well but most submersibles arent rated for the 450 ft overall to cabins that are 3" and not sure if 4" will fit.
i thought maybe an above ground pump not limited by room in well casing (not booster, and seperate line from the house-just cabins) might be the answer?

KSB

Reaction score
another option is to replace house pump with bigger submersible and go through house?

KSB

Reaction score
Hi
Looking at replacing current house pump with Goulds 5hp 18 or 25 gpm as they are whats rated for 450ft of head, replacing CU301 with CSV? any thoughts?

Reach4

Reaction score
img_3.png
there is currently a 60ft well with standing water at 15ft, Grundfos 15GPM 1/2hp pump to house
with SQE CO 301 brain.
Looking at replacing current house pump with Goulds 5hp 18 or 25 gpm as they are whats rated for 450ft of head
Horizontal distance is not head. Moving water horizontally takes much less power than lifting. Note that it is the vertical distance (altitude difference) you are lifting from the surface of the well water that counts big.

For horizontal, you will use a pipe pressure loss calculator or table.

Your water is maybe 15 to 50 ft down. A 1 HP 18 gpm pump may be plenty, and 1.5 would give you margin. I have not gone to the pipe calculator. You should. Are your house and cabins at about the same altitude?

This table is for a Goulds GS series pump. I am not saying the GS is the one you want. I have not studied the differences.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Your well is 60' deep with water standing at 15'. Like Reach says you don't need a pump rated for 450'. The 450' to the last cabin is distance, not elevation. Friction loss at 10 GPM through 1" pipe at 450' is only about 10 PSI. So you should have 10 PSI less at the end of the pipe than at the beginning. Your existing pump just doesn't produce enough volume to run all the houses at the same time. And again it is rare for all the houses to be using max flow at the same time. I would assume the 15 GPM pump you have now is fine for 6 cabins with normal use, just not all at the same time.

But if you want to be able to run 5 GPM for each of the 6 cabins at the same time, and to make up for the 10 PSI loss to the end of the pipe, you can use a 2HP, 25 GPM series pump with a 50/70 pressure switch and a CSV setting of 60 PSI constant.

The idea of the CSV is to be able to use one pump to do multiple jobs. The CSV will let the pump supply 30 GPM when 30 GPM is being used, but it will also supply a single 2 GPM shower when that is all that is being used. You don't need a second pump, unless you just want a backup. Then you would need at least 8" diameter well casing to be able to do that. Plus a backup pump is not as important when you have a CSV protecting the main pump from cycling on and off.

KSB

Reaction score
Hi Thank you for input this whole issue has been very stressful so I very much appreciate the help.

if i put a 2hp 25 gpm series pump with 50/70 pressure swith and a CSV setting of 60 PSI constant

do you have a 2hp 25 gpm series pump you recommend?
i think the CSV needs to go infront of the T for house and cabin?
what size of pressure tank? I have a 2gal on the CU301 and a new 20 gal still in box.

If we pull old pump and replace with 2HP is there any additional or new check valves that need to be installed? i'm not sure
what is there now, but system has run without issues so far... about 8 yrs.

Is there any additional valves or pressure switches that need installed in the house with CSV? i'm just
trying to anticipate any thing that needs ordering as in Alaska shipping can take awhile.

thanks so much for the advice, I've been trying to figure this out and there's a lot to it!
so i'm very grateful for this website and the input!

hope you all having a great spring.... snowing here the last week!
K

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
My favorites are 25S20-11 Grundfos or 25GS20 Goulds. Install a CSV1A prior to any tees or the pressure tank/pressure switch. Which BTW that 20 gallon tank will be perfect with a CSV1A for multiple houses/cabins. Install the pressure switch you have at the base of the 20 gallon tank and set it for 50/70.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks