New Rheem not heating water

Discussion in 'Water Heater Forum, Tanks' started by Scott Craig, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Scott Craig

Scott Craig New Member

Hi All,
    I installed a Rheem 50 gal. electric today and afterwards found that it wasnt working.
    Although it was new in the box it has a manufacture date of 08/2010. I have stored it in my garage until I need it and now it's not working. Any thoughts? I checked for power after install and it had power. I bled out the air after it filled up but the water was not even warm??? What did I mess up?

2. fullysprinklered

fullysprinklered In the Trades

self-employed plumber-electrician doing residentia
    Did you turn the power on after filling the tank?

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    There are many possibilities, but we would have to be there and test the circuits to find out the problem. IT being "old" is NOT likely the problem.

5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    The water needs to be completely purged "before" you flip the breaker back on. An element will burn out in seconds if it's fired dry.

With a two element water heater, if the top one is burned out, then there is no heat at all.
    If the bottom element is burned out, and the top is working, you wind up with half a tank of heated water. The top element heats first and when the thermostat senses that it's hot, it switches power to the lower element.

Black to black, white to white, and a copper ground.

toolaholic likes this.
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    Technically, 220/240v does NOT have a "white" wire. Usually black/red or black/blue and it does not matter which way they are connected, since the heater is two black wires.

7. Scott Craig

Scott Craig New Member

I think you hit on it Terry. The tank wasnt full before I turned the power back on. I read that it would burn out the elements so I turned it back off until it was full. But if it only takes seconds for them to burn out that's what happened. Guess i will head to the store to get a couple new elements. Thanks for all the help.