New recirculating pump installation

Users who are viewing this thread

Leah F.

Reaction score
Hello,

Today, I had our ancient old recirculating pump replaced with a Grundfos UP15-29SF. The recirculating system is a closed loop and returns to the cold line above the water heater. Our house plumbing spans 60 feet with the water heater and pump housed together in an outdoor shed at the far end. Now the Grundfos, hours later is making a constant high pitched humming sound (like a very loud fridge) that carries all the way to the end of our 60 foot house. Does anyone know if this is normal for the newer recirculating pumps to make so much noise or could this be a faulty pump or does something need to be done with the system? Our old pump did not make this much noise.

I didn't hear ny noise from the pump until a few hours after the drain line for our new water softener was installed from scratch.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
In a closed loop, it doesn't take much of a pump to recirculate things. Some pumps are noisier than others. Some also have multiple speeds, and you might try turning it down if it's not on the lowest speed.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
In a closed loop, it doesn't take much of a pump to recirculate things. Some pumps are noisier than others. Some also have multiple speeds, and you might try turning it down if it's not on the lowest speed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks