New Radiator Air vents Still Hissing

Users who are viewing this thread

Vin_ny

Reaction score
Hello All. I have a one-pipe steam system. I have a two story cape house from the 1940's. Last heating season, I replaced the second floor air vent on the radiator with a hoffman #40. I was really impressed how quiet it was. This heating season I decided to replace the remaining six radiators with brand new home depot #40, non-adjustable but not sure if it's an aftermarket of the Hoffman or so, here is the link for more information: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Durst-40M-1-8-in-IPS-Angled-Steam-Radiator-Vent-Valve-A906/202246278

Most of them seem to make a hissing noise of air once the boiler is on after 15 minutes or so and will continue to hiss until the boiler shuts off and one of them seems to push out very very little water. I'm not sure if I should check the pressure but not sure how to do this? Any thoughts on whether I should return these and settle for the actual Hoffman #40 or get varivalves?

In addition, I have a pipe with fins on them in the kitchen, and since I have slightly shimmed the end of where the air valves sit with two quarters on the bottom legs on the other radiators, this radiator with fins on it in the kitchen was making a very loud hammering sound during the middle of the boiler running. I checked it and there was no heat going to it in the kitchen, which was very odd. So I turned the valve (not the air vent, the actual radiator valve) slightly closed and then I opened it to slightly opened and suddenly the pipe was banging and water starting spitting out of the new air vent like a geyser. I knew that was not normal. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

rjbphd

In the Trades
Reaction score
Vent on radiator is for venting the radiator only! If your vents are making noise.. chances are your main vents on steam mains are malfunctioning or missing. .

Vin_ny

Reaction score
As far as I can see I only have one main vent in the basement which is a gorton #1. Air is flowing nicely through it. It seems now only the radiator nearest to the boiler makes the most hissing noise towards the end of the cycle. I will swap this out with a varivalve and adjust the open close settings.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks