New question, kitchen remodel, using existing cable:

Users who are viewing this thread

oldberkeley

Reaction score
I'm replacing all the appliances, the cabinets, other stuff in a small 1950's-era kitchen. The basement ceiling is rather "crowded" with cables, plumbing, etc., so I'm trying--when safe--to re-use some of the cable runs from the updated panel to the kitchen.

The existing cooktop has a 10-3 NM w/ground cable running to a 30A two-pole breaker in the panel. I'm going to remove the cooktop and put a dishwasher in that general area.

My question: can I use the existing cable run as a dedicated circuit, cap off the red wire, and run it to a single pole 20A breaker?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You can use a larger cable to run a lower powered unit as long as the CB you use is rated to accept that size wire. I'd cap off the unused wire rather than cutting it back, but then, I'm not an electrician!

Reach4

Reaction score
You would have the option to put in 2 120 volt outlet circuits. You could run the microwave oven while running some other high-power device. To do that, you should use a 2-pole breaker. Don't forget to account for using GFCI. There are 1-pole and 2-pole GFCI breakers.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks