New pump with control box pump cycle time

Users who are viewing this thread

Dave 1

Reaction score
New pump, pressure tank and pump control box was installed by local plumber. I thought I was getting a control box that varied the pump speed to control pressure but got the one that just shuts pump on or off to maintain pressure. I have been listening to the pump run and I hear cycles of 2 or 3 seconds run time with a minute or so between runs. I can't believe a pump can last doing this.
My installer says this is the way it is supposed to work and the pump is designed for it. He also charged and unbelievable amount for that box. I found them on the internet for less than $300. Our last pump a Meyers lasted for 33 years. I have been reading on here about the CSV, why don't they use them? How long is my new pump going to last? Can't have another $3700 bill for a long time. To be fair he also had to dig down and replace to the connection to the house (would not come out). The rest of the bill seemed reasonable.

GoingQuiet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Does the pump run through a cycle (seemingly unprompted) while the main water valve to the house is closed? Or is your home plumbing actually consuming water while this happens?

Reach4

Reaction score
What is the model of that box?

How big is your pressure tank?

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sounds like too small of a tank for the gpm rating of the pump, or a bad tank. Either way a bad combination.

Another reason most plumbers shouldn't do pump work.

Dave 1

Reaction score
Does the pump run through a cycle (seemingly unprompted) while the main water valve to the house is closed? Or is your home plumbing actually consuming water while this happens?
We are using water at the time it runs.

Dave 1

Reaction score
Sounds like too small of a tank for the gpm rating of the pump, or a bad tank. Either way a bad combination.

Another reason most plumbers shouldn't do pump work.
Its is just a 3/4 hp pump, I think 10 gpm Not defending guy but they are well people third generation. He got kinda defensive when I ask him about the cycle time and offer to take it out. He really did not listen real good just wanted to say normal.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I have been listening to the pump run and I hear cycles of 2 or 3 seconds run time with a minute or so between runs.
3 seconds on and a minute off. That is weird.

Does the bill indicate something about the box? model number or something?

Its is just a 3/4 hp pump, I think 10 gpm Not defending guy but they are well people third generation.
Contact them as soon as practical, and tell them. Unless you already did, and they said that is normal. It sure doesn't sound normal to me. I am not a pro.

Get somebody to go down and shoot pictures of labels and the overall install. Some cellphone cameras are particularly good at taking low-light photos, but if you have a real digital camera, that would be easiest, I think.

Dave 1

Reaction score
3 seconds on and a minute off. That is weird.

Does the bill indicate something about the box? model number or something?

Contact them as soon as practical, and tell them. Unless you already did, and they said that is normal. It sure doesn't sound normal to me. I am not a pro.

Get somebody to go down and shoot pictures of labels and the overall install. Some cellphone cameras are particularly good at taking low-light photos, but if you have a real digital camera, that would be easiest, I think.

bill just says C/P controller Franklin products

Reach4

Reaction score

Dave 1

Reaction score

It looks like I will be crawling under the, got to know what it is. Well man said when I asked him about reliability that he has been using them for five years and has not had a failure yet. Let you know tomorrow.

Reach4

Reaction score
It looks like I will be crawling under the, got to know what it is. Well man said when I asked him about reliability that he has been using them for five years and has not had a failure yet. Let you know tomorrow.
What is the warranty situation?

Reach4

Reaction score
I was thinking.... maybe that 3 seconds brings the pump up to speed, and then the controller backs off the pump RPM. Just guessing... I don't hear my submersible well pump.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You are better off it you didn't get the variable speed control box. They are made to sound cool and get all the money out of your pocket before you figure out what is going on. "CP" sounds like he may have put one of those variable speed controllers on there, but it so it is already not working properly. If you want constant pressure use a Cycle Stop Valve instead of the variable speed controller, as the CSV is made to last and works without varying the pump speed.

See this.. https://cyclestopvalves.com/pages/variable-speed-pumps-vfds-are-a-scam

Dave 1

Reaction score
Controller is a UT2W so we did get a fair price on the bill, list for $1100+
Test run with various facets on, pressure stayed right at 70. I could not hear the pump run there and the only way was to look at the second green light on the controller. Light would come on 2 or seconds after water demand and would shut off 15 seconds after demand stopped. Don't know what good a 20 gal tank is since there is only 2 -3 seconds of draw down. Seems to be working good. Better communications would have eliminated this entirely. I ask point blank is this a variable speed controller and he said no. That is why I thought we had been grossly overcharged since the other controllers are way less than $300. Have always been able to hear when pump is running in the house. Don't know what I am hearing but now I know it is working. Wish I had know about the CSV before. When you run out of water there is not much time for research.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Wish I had know about the CSV before. When you run out of water there is not much time for research.

That is what a lot of contractors are counting on.

That UT is one of the newest versions of the variable frequency drive that is supposed to solve all the problems of the last version of VFD's, that was also supposed to solve all the problems of the previous version of VFD. This has been going on for over 30 years and they still have not solved all the problems of varying the pump speed. That is because mother nature has some things to say about it, and they will never be able to solve those problems as they go against the laws of physics.

Anyway, I wish you luck because constant 70 PSI is a good thing. You will like it. When the fancy new controller quits you can replace it with a simple Cycle Stop Valve that will also hold 70 PSI steady, but will make your pump last 30 years instead of the 3-5 I am expecting to see from these newest versions of VFD's.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Controller is a UT2W so we did get a fair price on the bill, list for $1100+
Test run with various facets on, pressure stayed right at 70. I could not hear the pump run there and the only way was to look at the second green light on the controller. Light would come on 2 or seconds after water demand and would shut off 15 seconds after demand stopped. Don't know what good a 20 gal tank is since there is only 2 -3 seconds of draw down. Seems to be working good. Better communications would have eliminated this entirely. I ask point blank is this a variable speed controller and he said no. That is why I thought we had been grossly overcharged since the other controllers are way less than $300. Have always been able to hear when pump is running in the house. Don't know what I am hearing but now I know it is working. Wish I had know about the CSV before. When you run out of water there is not much time for research.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

In my totally un-humble opinion you were pretty much screwed by the "Plumber" [Hope that is not correct.] Judging by his customer relations and not knowing what he had installed makes anything else suspect. For 1100$ you could have installed a new CRC QD control box, a couple of top notch LARGE pressure tanks, a pump protector, a pressure switch and a contactor to make the pressure switch last 1+ million cycles. Or for a lot less $ the CSV. Instead you got the TESLA of well systems with all its service issues. Dont feel too bad, some Yahoo just billed me for $500 for installing [I was out of town] a 13$ pressure switch in 2 hours. Billed; about paying is another thing. Man it's a minefield out there when your serviceman is need of money and is ethically bankrupt.

On edit I see the Franklin controller for $600. As for my comment on a CSR control box, looks like you could not use one these 2 wire pumps. But you likely get the point.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks