New pump or replace check valve

Users who are viewing this thread

lwerdmann

Reaction score
Hi everyone, first off I'll give you some of my initial problem then my quick fix and now need advice on my next step.

My pump would cycle then as soon as it shut of the water would start flowing back into the well. I caught this after a guy at the electric company was giving me suggestions for really high electric bills. I decided to add a check valve in the house as a temporary solution, only temporary because of everything I've read on here about above ground check valves.

That procedure seems to have solved the problem although now I have a couple of other problems. One, a get a very nice solid hammer noise when the pump kicks off. I also get a very slight amount of air on occasion. OK after going through the forums, I know I have to get my pump problem fixed and get rid of the check valve.

My question is should I replace the pump, six years old, unknown manufacturer, but I think it's 1/2 hp (could be wrong though, well is 180' or should I just have them replace the check valve on the pump, if they can? Just not sure if I'm going to the expense of pulling the pump if it would be worthwhile to replace instead of fix.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
If the pump is pumping the water out quickly and turning off and on at its normal levels then it is fine. All pumps in the Chicago area have check valves on them above the pit. They make silent check valves were the thud you hear when the valve closes is not so pronounced. Also you will need to drill a 1/8" hole in the discharge pipe just near the top of the pump. The key is to take the pump out of the pit and drill in such an angle so the water spraying out sprays down into the pit. This helps prevent the check valve from locking up.http://www.aymcdonald.com/en-US/Sump-pump-check-valves.html

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I think SewerRatz is talking about a sump pump. If this is a well pump, you will need to pull the pump and replace the check valve on the pump. No drilling holes anywhere as with a sump pump.

As to replacing the pump while you are at it, it depends on the cost of the labor. Those pumps don’t cost much, and the average life is 7 years. Doesn’t mean you can’t get 15-20 years, but that depends on how bad you let it cycle. The fact that your check valve is out, is a clue that you have been letting it cycle a lot. I would lean towards replacing the pump while it is out.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
...well is 180'...

I think SewerRatz is talking about a sump pump...

He must have missed the 180 foot deep bit.

I agree with valveman that you are close to the average lifespan and that it may already have been shortened. Also, it is disconcerting to hear that air is getting in the line. That suggests other problems and the leak-back might not be at the pump.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Sorry bad habit of mine which cost me a 100% grade back when I was in school. I should read more carefully. My advice is for a sump pump. I just happen to have sump pumps on my mind since all the flooding we had here in Northern Illinois. So please disregard my earlier post, it is advice for sump pumps.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks