New pump has no pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike-owens

Reaction score
Hi,
I have just replaced my pump and cannot figure out why I am still not operational. I have installed a new 1 1/2 hp pump and new control box. My pressure switch, wiring, float, everything is brand new other than the tank itself. It is an old bladderless tank that does not require pressurized before operation. The pump is 140 feet in the ground. when I turn on the power I have 120v at every point on the pressure switch and where it should be on the control box. I hear the relay click in to start and see the added volts to the start leg on the motor but I only get water barely coming up the pipe. There is no pressure at all. I am at a loss here and would appreciate any help. I do have amperage going to the pump. I read 11a 11a and 1.3 . I am not sure what it should be starting. Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
Those currents would be normal for a pump moving a lot of water, if your control box has a run capacitor.

A big hole in your drop pipe is consistent with your symptoms.

This pump is for more than a house, I presume.

I am not a pro.

Mike-owens

Reaction score
My drop pipe is brand new and I just pulled it and redropped it yesterday so no issues there. As of right now the pump is only for the house but am looking at adding sprinkler system. I am assuming you are looking at the hp and that is due to the fact that the pump is set at 140ft down

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yeah 11 amps means a 1.5HP should be pumping a lot of water. Since your drop pipe is new, I would be looking at the underground pipe and expecting a geyser shooting up somewhere. Disconnect it at the well head or pitless and pump is out there. If you have good water at the well head, the problem is between there and the tank.

Mike-owens

Reaction score
I have it disconnected at the wellhead now so I could check and even pulled interior of stop valve to check my flow and pressure. It pumps water up the pipe but with no pressure at all. Almost as if turning on a water hose 50 ft down and going up.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Running wide open with no pressure on it is harder for the pump than when pumping against pressure. How much water is it pumping and is it still drawing 12 amps?

Mike-owens

Reaction score
I have a bladderless tank. It is a pump and will pump with or without pressure. Yes expectancy will diminish if running constant but your post is not accurate. I already said it is drawing 11 amps and pumping like a water hose pushing up 100 feet.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I am sorry but your explanations don't make sense. Did you replace with the exact same pump? Maybe you chose a pump that can't build pressure? If it is pumping at the well head it should be easier for it to pump into the tank and build pressure.

Reach4

Reaction score
but I only get water barely coming up the pipe. There is no pressure at all.

It is a pump and will pump with or without pressure. Yes expectancy will diminish if running constant but your post is not accurate. I already said it is drawing 11 amps and pumping like a water hose pushing up 100 feet.
Your statements seem contradictory. Maybe the water hose you are picturing is a 1/2 inch garden hose, or a garden hose fed with 50 psi and extends 100 ft into the air. I have no experience with a hose with its output 100 ft up. The only hoses that I picture with outputs up that high are fire hoses on ladder trucks.

Did you put in a 1.5 hp 40 gpm pump that is made for much shallower water? A 7 gpm 3/4 HP pump would have given you plenty of pressure and flow for a house. If you need lots of water flow for irrigation, stock watering, and such, a 15 gpm pump at 1.5 HP would provide good water for a cattle ranch and a house.

Last edited:

Mike-owens

Reaction score
Your statements seem contradictory. Maybe the water hose you are picturing is a 1/2 inch garden hose, or a garden hose fed with 50 psi and extends 100 ft into the air. I have no experience with a hose with its output 100 ft up. The only hoses that I picture with outputs up that high are fire hoses on ladder trucks.

Did you put in a 1.5 hp 40 gpm pump that is made for much shallower water? A 7 gpm 3/4 HP pump would have given you plenty of pressure and flow for a house. If you need lots of water flow for irrigation, stock watering, and such, a 15 gpm pump at 1.5 HP would provide good water for a cattle ranch and a house.
I have a 1 1/2 hp 20gpm pump. It will provide everything I need but is not producing pressure. My water hose analogy was to provide a idea of what the pressure is coming out of the well head. It is not producing any kind of pump pressure. The size pump I have is due to the depth of the well to provide adequate pressure to the house and tank. I cannot go smaller and no need to go bigger.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Finally. So you have a 20 GPM pump. Yes that should be ok for that depth and pressure. Is it pumping 20+ GPM at the well head? It is producing some pressure, as it takes 60 PSI just to lift the 140'. Maybe you have it on 120V instead of 240V?

Mike-owens

Reaction score
I have already specified I have the correct voltage and no pressure at the well head. I am already aware that i have the correct pump and components. I would appreciate an educated response from someone else. You are really no help but thanks for the quick response. I dont think your quite as familiar with what your responding to

Mike-owens

Reaction score
I have 240v as needed and as stated before but your info has not made sense or helped at all. If you read my first post that would make sense. I said I was done with your help because you are not giving any knowledgeable input and not reading what I have said. If you would like to help or have any expertise knowledge then I am more than willing to listen. Right now you are requestioning my posts and asking things I have already provided.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I am "requestioning" your post because you said 120V on both legs. You never said you had 240V. I have been working on pumps for about 50 years. I know people get testy when they are out of water but wow! I have plenty other things to do than help someone who is rude to me.

crabjoe

Reaction score
I guess you're measuring to ground, if you're seeing 120V..

I don't know a dang thing about pumps like valveman, but I do know one thing because I just had my well pump replaced.

In my well..... I don't know if yours is similar or not, there's a thing called a pitless. If the deal isn't tight there, water will flow back into the well... so you end up with no pressure. If you have a pitless, check that to make sure there's no water flowing back. If that's not your issue, you might want to answer valveman.. Based on my searches here, I feel he's the most knowledgeable mate here.

Mike-owens

Reaction score
Valve man I am sorry if i offerded. If you have been working on these pumps for 50 plus years I would expect a 50 plus years answer. At least after I tell you I know what I am doin . Since not and the response I dont think so. I apologize if I am wrong but unfortunately you do not know how to fix my problem and it is obvious. I guess if I cannot get a professional answer I will search elsewhere. I have not got one professional answer and zero that correlate to my original post. Thanks all for the time but unless you know what you are talking about I would prefer not to hear. Thank you. I am not trying to be an asshole, which I can ,but try to find my water prob. I am a contractor so housewife answers tend to frustrate me

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
Post a picture of the well head and we can offer some better ways to troubleshoot the pump. Is it on pitless or seal? You need to put a test gauge on where ever you are able to pump water and shut it....quantify the pressure the pump will make. Then we'll know if you problem is in the well or in the piping/tank set up.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks