New Pressure Tank - Safe Stuff?

Users who are viewing this thread

Shoes

Reaction score
Hi there. I am replacing my well pressure tank (thanks for the advice). I have the new tank, its a Water Worker 86 gallon tank. I was checking the fit for the tank tee, and I noticed the inside of the female tank connection (an elbow on the underside) had a good amount of what looked like pipe dope(?). Since this is directly inline with water, and would be fed through the system - is this safe? I was always under the impression that dope should not end up inside the line?

mp5Zsjz.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
I hope that picture is the old tank.

Could that white stuff be teflon tape?

Shoes

Reaction score
This is the new tank, just pulled it from the box, laid it on its side. The stuff is definitely a goo - I got it on my finger and it had the same consistency as pipe dope.

Edit: Here is a zoom out of what I am looking at.
QVH6nsr.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Are you sure that was not a return of a used tank? I have not unpacked or installed a pressure tank, but that picture is not what what I would expect from a new tank. What does the stuff that looks like rust particles feel like?

Or was the rust-looking stuff from the old tank tee-- in which case, if it is steel replace it and if it is not, clean it.

Maybe send your picture to the company and ask if what you are seeing is what you should expect.

Shoes

Reaction score
Based on the packaging, it wasnt presented as a repair or refurb. The box seemed fresh and unopened and was sitting on the shelf at the home depot.

The rust particles look and feel like rust.

Shoes

Reaction score
Also - I am not reusing my old tee, its galvanized and crap. I have a brand new tee, so any and all rust is from this tank.

Reach4

Reaction score
I would contact the maker. Also, watch comments from experienced people.

Shoes

Reaction score
Yeah that was good advice, I called the manufacturer (Amtrol) and they said it was normal and expected. They said the rust was a result of a manufacturing water test they perform, and the dope is a food grade silicone dope that they use (NSF approved, etc).

Reach4

Reaction score
Yeah that was good advice, I called the manufacturer (Amtrol) and they said it was normal and expected. They said the rust was a result of a manufacturing water test they perform, and the dope is a food grade silicone dope that they use (NSF approved, etc).
It does not smell right to me. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Water-Worker-86-Gal-Pressurized-Well-Tank-HT86B/202846487 says "Stainless-steel waterway lining has no plastic to cross-thread, strip or crack"

I can buy the silicone grease part tho the silicone grease that I am familiar with is translucent rather that white. But the rust particles.... can't buy it. The only way that these two claims are compatible is that they use a very dirty rusty water source for the test, but the rust in the picture was not rusting of this tank. I look forward to the reaction of others. Is it possible that you tried your old tank tee for fit and the particles fell out of that?

I am guessing that they will say that is not normal, that you return this to HD and find the replacement does not have that rust. But I have missed my guess a lot.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks