New pressure switch sparks every time when cutting out at 50 PSI, it is normal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Raymond D

Reaction score
I am a first timer replacing my pressure tank. We have a private well. I hope I will get some advice here since I've very little knowledge on the subject.

I just installed a new tank (32 gallons) with new tank tee, pressure switch, check valve, gauge, etc.

The pressure switch is Plumb Eeze (30/50) and tank pressure has been set to 28 psi.

However, th0ugh the pressure switch cuts in timely at 30psi, it will pause at around 42 psi, wait for couple of minutes or longer before proceeding to 50 psi. When the switch cuts out finally at 50 psi, there is a spark at disconnecting EVERY single time. The spark sometimes is slight, sometimes rather noticeably loud and in bright yellow. I just wonder if these sparks are normal.

I searched this forum and noticed two other posts on similar topics. One response was that sparks are normal since there's electricity going through the contacts. From another comment on the Internet, I was told to just put back the pressure switch cover, all is good then because sparks are normal.

I would like to hear more from the plumbers and experienced DIYers about electricity sparks on pressure switches.

Thank you so much!

Reach4

Reaction score
Sparks are normal. If your pump is set for 115 volts, and you can change to 230, sparks will be less.

What horsepower is your pump motor, and what is the voltage?

However, th0ugh the pressure switch cuts in timely at 30psi, it will pause at around 42 psi, wait for couple of minutes or longer before proceeding to 50 psi.
How long does the pressure take to go from 30 to 42 psi? If it is just a few seconds or less, we might discuss precharge.

It could also be that you would be better to set your switch to 25/45 rather than 30/50.

Raymond D

Reaction score
Sparks are normal. If your pump is set for 115 volts, and you can change to 230, sparks will be less.
Thank you so much for your response! Knowing that sparks are normal helps to ease our concern.

The well and pump motor were put in 15 years ago when the house was built. We couldn't find any documents left by the builder on the specs of the well pump motor, unfortunately.

How long does the pressure take to go from 30 to 42 psi? If it is just a few seconds or less, we might discuss precharge.

Just went to the basement and looked at the pressure gauge . It took about 20 seconds to go from 30 to 40 psi. This time, it hadn't gone up to 42 psi.

It could also be that you would be better to set your switch to 25/45 rather than 30/50.

Thanks again for your reply and helpful advice.

Thanks very much for your response

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks very much for your response
If you are running 115 (120) volts, you could wire the two contact pairs in parallel. This would not be as good as converting to 230(240), but better than using a single contact pair.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Every time a pump cycles on or off the pressure switch will spark (arc). The pressure switch is really the least of your problems. The cycling that causes the switch to spark also damages the motor, capacitor, centrifugal start switch, check valve, and the bladder in the tank. Limiting or eliminating the pump cycling is the only way to lengthen the life of all these components.

Raymond D

Reaction score
If you are running 115 (120) volts, you could wire the two contact pairs in parallel. This would not be as good as converting to 230(240), but better than using a single contact pair.
Really appreciate your time and advice to a novice like me! Thank you kindly!

Raymond D

Reaction score
Every time a pump cycles on or off the pressure switch will spark (arc). The pressure switch is really the least of your problems. The cycling that causes the switch to spark also damages the motor, capacitor, centrifugal start switch, check valve, and the bladder in the tank. Limiting or eliminating the pump cycling is the only way to lengthen the life of all these components.

Thank you so much for the clear explanations. Now I've one less item (the sparks) to worry about. Appreciate your kind response.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks