New pressure switch builds pressure until valve to house is opened.

Users who are viewing this thread

Kent Smith

Reaction score
Hi, I have had low water pressure for a few weeks and started tracking things down. Started with the pressure switch since it was the cheapest component. When I went to remove the switch it sheared off the port and the port was completely clogged with rust. Bought a new switch and had to get a new port (3/4" male with 1/4" female and a 3" nipple). I rewired everything, drained the tank, filled the bladder to 28 psi for a 30/50 cut in, cut out and fired the system back up. The contacts were closed and the pump was running, but there was no pressure building. I closed the valve to the house and the system pressurized. I adjusted the cut in, cut out to almost spot on 30/50. I opened the valve to the house and the tank drained to 30 psi, the cut in started, but the pressure continued to drop. When it reached 25 psi there was a instant drop to 0 psi (the tank seemed to discharge all at once), then there was a rebound pressure up to 20 psi and then immediately back to 0 psi. I have no water at the house. This has been repeated several times trying to troubleshoot the issue. The pump house is 800' from my house. I tried opening faucets to purge air, but nothing has worked. I came to the conclusion that I must have a very large leak between the pump house and house, but I live in a very cold area and I think my line is 6'-8' feet deep, and I haven't found any wet spots (not sure it'll surface because it's very rocky soil). There have been a couple times that I've opened a faucet in the house and heard air escaping and some gurgling, which has me stumped since that seems like it would indicate a bit of pressurizing. And the instant tank discharge and short lived pressure rebound seems odd to me. If anyone has any suggestions I would certainly appreciate a different perspective.

Thanks, Kent.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I think you are on the right track with a large leak in that 800' run. Sometimes you never see a wet spot as the water goes down in rocky soil. Call a leak detection company. You may also be able to pull a new line through the old line with a break up tool, but I never seen one done for 800'?

Reach4

Reaction score
Hi, I have had low water pressure for a few weeks and started tracking things down. Started with the pressure switch since it was the cheapest component. When I went to remove the switch it sheared off the port and the port was completely clogged with rust. Bought a new switch and had to get a new port (3/4" male with 1/4" female and a 3" nipple). I rewired everything, drained the tank, filled the bladder to 28 psi for a 30/50 cut in, cut out and fired the system back up. The contacts were closed and the pump was running, but there was no pressure building. I closed the valve to the house and the system pressurized.
That would seem to say the leak is on the house side of the valve.

Submersible pump, I presume.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks