New Plumbing for Front Load Washer

Users who are viewing this thread

dsneuf

Reaction score
I am installing a new front load washer in a converted bathroom to laundry room. Location is on the first floor above the garage. I am planning on installing a floor drain and watts auto shutoff valve.

My question is related to the dwv (2") plumbing inside the wall connected to the wall box.

1) Is there a minimum height (or range of heights) to the top of the stack/drain pipe into the wall box? I'd like to place the box around 30" from the floor due to a window location.

2) Is a separate trap required inside the wall?

3) If so, are there height limits/range for its placement.

Thanks in advance!

~ Scott
Cincinnati, OH

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
washer

The top of the standpipe has to be higher than the water's level inside the machine when it is set for the maximum load. EVERY drain needs a trap whether it is inside the wall or outside, but you can only have ONE trap on the drain line.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Under CA code ( UPC ) the top of the standpipe must be 18" minimum, 30" maximum above the floor. Absolutely must a trap on the standpipd...but only one!

dsneuf

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick answers.

For clarify, I need a trap for the washer drain/stack, but it should not connect into another trap (i.e. the piping after the trap must be tied in directly to the main).

Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks