New Old Stock Kohler Wellworth, Fresh Green

Users who are viewing this thread

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
About 10 years ago, I found a brand new, still in the box, 1980 Kohler Wellworth elongated in Fresh Green which, of course, I had to have. I also ordered an expensive Bemis plastic seat to match. Until now, I was never able to put it into service. I recently moved into a home built in 1968, that came originally equipped with Gerber Mount Vernons, round bowl, standard height. The previous owner had replaced the main bath toilet with a Right Height elongated American Standard Cadet Pro 1.6 GPF. My master bath, however, still had the original Gerber. After a thorough muriatic acid soak and flush, and a tank rebuild, it was as good as new. I could not justify 5 GPF under any circumstances, so I replaced it with my Fresh Green 1980 Kohler. As many in the know will know, this Wellworth was the first generation of government-mandated 3.5 GPFs and as many as I can remember seeing in use back in the day, having never owned one, I wasn't aware that it was definitely not ready for prime time. I honestly could not remember the last time I needed to plunge a toilet and had no intention of making it a regular part of my routine. I happened to have in my archives a late model 1.6 GPF Kohler Wellworth Highline, which now resides in my master bath where the Fresh Green Wellworth was in service for about 2 weeks.

Knowing Kohler fan The Universal Dave's love/obsession with all things Wellworth, I private messaged him and offered to give him the Fresh Green Wellworth if he would come pick it up. We live approximately 240 miles apart -- he in Alabama and I in Tennessee. Instead of thanking me and politely declining, he whined that he was tired and broke because he went to Atlanta, and wasn't going to drive "all the way to Tennessee for a toilet." Keep in mind that Tennessee and Alabama are next-door neighbors. I'm calling him out on this because, apparently, manners aren't taught in his household. I can understand that he might not want/need it, or whatever the reason is, but he acted like I was burdening him to take it off my hands. NEVER kick a gift horse in the mouth!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Okay, I'm laughing. Fresh Green? I remember installing an entire bathroom of Fresh Green Kohler fixtures for my boss in the 70's. I thought it was pretty brave of him at the time, and really cool looking. He and his partner had 150 plumbers working for him. That was Crown Custom Plumbing.
It sounds like Craig's List for the Fresh Green fixture. Maybe someone has a Fresh Green tub and they're looking for a matching toilet for it.

http://www.us.kohler.com/us/Color-Timeline/content/T1-color-timeline.htm

Last edited:

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
Okay, I'm laughing. Fresh Green? I remember installing an entire bathroom of Fresh Green Kohler fixtures for my boss in the 70's. I thought it was pretty brave of him at the time, and really cool looking. He and his partner had 150 plumbers working for him. That was Crown Custom Plumbing.
It sounds like Craig's List for the Fresh Green fixture. Maybe someone has a Fresh Green tub and they're looking for a matching toilet for it.
I actually have a local friend who has a Fresh Green fiberglass shower stall. The Fresh Green Rochelle that once occupied his bathroom was long ago replaced with a very early American Standard 1.6 GPF. I have no idea what model the AS is; I've never seen one like it before. The inside of the bowl looks like those early 1.6 Briggs that had the vertical groove down the back of the bowl and the Toto-like recess above the water line. I think I'll ask him if he wants my Fresh Green Wellworth so his bathroom can look as cool as I think mine did for the brief time I was using it. :D

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
240 miles is NOT "next door neighbors" and I would not drive 5 miles for a toilet I had no use for.
I didn't say that we were next door neighbors; I said that our resident states are. You've obviously missed the point and felt compelled to contribute one of your typically salty responses. Dave, by his own admission, loves his Kohlers; has previously stated that he would like a Wellworth of every generation; has published photos on this site with an old Wellworth bowl in his lap. There was an eBay listing for a the same toilet that I have, except in Black Black and Dave said he wanted it but couldn't afford it. My thought was that he might like to have this first generation 3.5 GPF Wellworth elongated in the rare Fresh Green for his collection, and I was going to GIVE it to him. Instead of expressing gratitude and polite regrets, he whined like the special child he obviously is.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks