New Mini Split Sizing Questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Ntcarson

Reaction score
Please feel free to ignore my ramblings and look at picture and questions - pretty self explanatory.

Good morning! After some kicking and screaming, I have given into my families demands to make the garage a more flexible and usable space for gaming and exercising activities. While I'm very comfortable in many DIY situations, and I have searched extensively on sizing a unit, I don't feel like I've comfortably settled on an answer. As always, I appreciate the great advice and feedback of this community, and I will do my best to thoroughly describe my situation.
The below drawing shows the garage space and the approximate dimensions. The lightly shaded blue area depicts a "suite" above a portion of the garage that has historically faced cooling issues. The regions is southern, coastal Virginia and the garage doors face East. The walls and ceiling of the garage are moderately insulated and drywalled - decent construction work.
My objectives:
1) Implement a mini-split that will allow good heating and cooling of the garage. Please note the high ceilings.
2) Allow for an expansion zone (a second attached wall/ceiling unit) for the blue "suite" area, if conditioning the garage does not naturally help mediate the existing concerns.

My questions:
1) What size unit would best serve this scenario - both the garage (620 sq-ft with 13+' ceilings) and a potential second zone (225+ sq-ft)?
2) Should I consider two wall packs for the large garage area?
3) How would you place the wall packs in this garage space?
4) What brand/line would you recommend, if DIY? If not DIY?

upload_2021-11-21_11-52-21.png

I appreciate any feedback, advice, and opinions. Thank you!

Ntcarson

Reaction score
I apologize for the long thread. I feel like heating will be my upper BTU constraint and, because of the super high ceilings, I'm leaning towards a 28k unit with a 18k unit in garage and the option for a 9k in the above room. Does this sound good, or would I be better off running 2 separate 9k units on either side of the garage?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks