New metal stand is now code for water heaters. Wood is no good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
rheem-gas-lomet.jpg

New code wants to see metal stands now for water heaters. On the West coast they like to see earthquake strapping and flex connectors for gas and water. It shakes a bit out here on the coast.
The label on the corner has a warning about storing gasoline under the stand. I can't believe they have to say that, but of course they do. Please, nothing that flames near your heating equipment. Keep that stuff far away.

Cool Blue Harley

One Dumb Plumber
Reaction score
Interesting post Terry.

In San Francisco, it's become a bit of a non-factor over the past several years because the only listed heaters available are flammable vapor ignition resistant (FVIR.) If a flammable vapor enters the combustion chamber of the water heater, the gas ignites and causes a sensor to trip, disabling the water heater.

Direct-vent sealed combustion chamber water heaters are also allowed to be installed directly on the garage floor.

We would require a seismic strap kit on that thermal expansion tank and perhaps a protective bollard in front of the heater if in the path of travel of a vehicle.

Heater stands will soon be as common as typewriter ribbons around here!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The one I took out had three big stickers from different companies.
Yeah I know. All kinds of things I should be doing advertising.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Terry.....The cheap non-removable, waterproof , stickers are the best advertiseing out there... If you plaster them
on every heater and house you walk into they literally become an energy of their own after about 6 months...
My stickers cost me about 3.5 cents each. I get calls from older stickers we did 35 years ago and its like
hitting the lottery...3 cents becomes 1500 dollars....just like that.

Also this adds value to your business when and if you decide to sell out...
If you dont have anyone wanting to take it over some day . I know you will probably take your millions of dollars and
move to that island you own in the pacific......

https://s3-media4.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/5pGN6OP66llu4Fkm1ae7SA/o.jpg

Last edited:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I never liked the drywalled wood framed WH stands, which were common practice for many years.
They would get wet, then rot when the WH leaked, scratched when the WH was replaced.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks