New Member Seeks Your Advice on Softener

Users who are viewing this thread

WestTexasRanger

Reaction score
Hello from West Texas!

I've been lurking around several Water Softener forums & websites and since this one seems to have the most knowledgeable members, I decided to join.

I live in a rural area where my water is provided by a well from the Ogallala Aquifer. The hardness can range from 500 ppm to 600 ppm (30 to 35 gpg). I'm a general contractor and built our home 15 years ago. The hard water has destroyed our faucets, restricted our washing machine fill valve and leaves deposits wherever it touches. I now regret not plumbing a soft water loop.

Anyway, it's time to tackle the hard water issue with a Softener, so I've come to y'all for help. Hopefully, you can help me avoid some of the hype and sales baloney I've read on various vendor websites.

Here's my scenario:

4 bedroom - 3 bath house - 2,800 square feet
Occupancy 50 weeks per year = 3
Occupancy 2 weeks per year = 11 (when the grandkids come to stay with us)
Hardness is 30 to 35 grains (depending on aquifer conditions)
No Iron
One - High capacity fixture (Roman Tub faucet)
Water well output = 16-17 gpm

My initial thought is to go with a 64,000 grain system, a Fleck 5600 SXT valve/controller and High Efficiency SST-60 Resin (2 Cubic Feet).

Am I headed down the right path?

Is the Fleck 5600 SXT difficult to program and/or does it allow much customization?

Will the SST-60 Resin really save 20% on salt?

I await your wisdom & knowledge...............

Bannerman

Reaction score
Will the SST-60 Resin really save 20% on salt?
The manufacturer claims 2-4 lbs reduction in salt required per regeneration cycle for each 1 cuft of resin. Unfortunately, the capacity settings nor actual salt dosages were defined. http://www.aquascience.net/purolite-sst-60-resin

In practice, even when a poster has paid significantly extra for this premium resin, they are typically advised to program the capacity and salt dose the same as when using standard resin. When previous posters have asked if they should obtain SST-60, they are usually advised to obtain less expensive standard 8% or 10% crosslink resin and configure the softener for salt efficiency.

The SXT controller on the Fleck 5600 valve is fully programmable, but Fleck now offers 58xx series valves which include additional features and increased capacity range. The 5600 valves are best suited for homes with up to 3/4" plumbing whereas the 58xx series should be used with larger plumbing.

A 2 cuft softener, will deliver 48K grains usable capacity when regenerated with 16 lbs salt or 40K grains when using 12 lbs salt.

With 3 ppl, each anticipated to use 60 gallons/day @ 35 gpg, would require 6,300 grains softening capacity per day. 48K / 6,300 = 7.6 (7) days regeneration requirement. As the goal is usually no more than 1 regeneration cycle per week, a 2 cuft softener would, therefore, be the smallest recommended.

As there is no iron or other problem conditions, a larger capacity softener could be installed as regeneration could be as few as 1X per month.

Last edited:

WestTexasRanger

Reaction score
I had the Fleck 2510 SXT recommended to me by an online vendor. I also read one of your post from almost 3 years ago, where you said you liked the 2510 SXT, as well as the 7000 SXT. How does the 58XX series compare with these?

Bannerman

Reaction score
Both Fleck and Clack have adopted policies to not market their newer valves through online vendors. There are numerous threads on this forum which discuss the reasons for the policy change.

The 5600 and 2510 are two Fleck valves that are both older designs which continue to remain available to online vendors. The 2510 offers some additional capabilities compared to the 5600 but with little else for an online vendor to offer, that will be why you were recommended a 2510 and not a 5800, 5810 or 5812.

The Fleck 7000 valve has been retired from production so the 58xx series now replaces the 7000, and the 3 models offer greater support for a broader range of tank sizes, capacities and plumbing configurations.

The 58xx XTR2 controller offers additional features over the SXT controller including the ability to automatically program and modify reserve capacity based on the history of daily usage.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Is the Fleck 5600 SXT difficult to program and/or does it allow much customization?
Easy enough to program. Same ease as 5810SXT. Only good up to maybe 7 gpm or so. Could slow filling that tub.

5810sxt is 1 inch internal, and is popular. It is probably a good fit for you. 5812sxt is for 1.25 inch plumbing. Those have the advantage of using soft water for brine refill.

The 5810XTR2 might be easier to program for some. It would confuse me. Also, it is harder to make a canonical list of setting IMO; it has menus.

Occupancy 50 weeks per year = 3
Occupancy 2 weeks per year = 11 (when the grandkids come to stay with us)
Hardness is 30 to 35 grains (depending on aquifer conditions)
No Iron

I think 2.5 cubic ft of resin in a 13" x 54" tank may be better once you add high-hardness compensation. You will press the extra cycle button when the grandkids are coming and the gallons remaining on the display does not show enough extra remaining capacity.

The SST-resin ... not much discussion these days. I think that was maybe better if you had to handle a lot of iron.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks