New low profile fill valve keeps running

Users who are viewing this thread

Ron_Jeremy

Reaction score
We have a Universal Rundle Bordeau 4005 low profile toilet as seen here:

Bordeau 4005

The original fill valve is toast & standard universal fill valves found at local stores are too tall to fit.
Anyway, I installed the below 04-4104 low profile fill valve:

04-4104

lasco-04-4104-master-fill.jpg

It fills the tank just fine but after it finishes filling I can still hear water 'moving' if I listen closely with my ear near the tank supply line (even after 30 minutes). The only way to stop this is to turn the adjusting screw counter clockwise on the new fill valve (this 'lowers' the fill height). However, I will have to repeat the process after the next flush. The other option is to turn off the water supply valve.

I thought maybe the fill valve was defective so I bought another but it does exactly the same thing.

I'm at my wits end here and am considering replacing the entire toilet if I can't get this resolved because we live off-grid & collect rain water, so a running toilet is a huge problem for us.

Any ideas?

ur-toilet-b.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
How about a picture of the tank insides? 800 pixels or less.
If the fill tube is pushed down the overflow, it can siphon the tank.

Last edited:

Ron_Jeremy

Reaction score
I considered that but the flapper doesn't seem to be the issue because if I turn the water off it's complete silence -- not a trickle. Also, if I turn the water height adjustment valve counter clockwise the running water sound stops immediately.

Ron_Jeremy

Reaction score
Ok I'll give one a try. Update: I believe I already gave one a try. The problem is the minimum height is 8.5" which puts it well over the top of the drain tube.

Ron_Jeremy

Reaction score
Hi @Terry

Thank you for continuiing to help :)

The overflow tube is 5.25" high measured from the base of the tank, and the max water fill line is about 1" below that figure. Is 6" the lowest the Korky wil go?

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
6" is as low as the Korky will adjust to. Sounds like you need 5" or lower.
So not the 8" that you previously mentioned.

Last edited:

Ron_Jeremy

Reaction score
Hi @Terry when I mentioned the minimum height I was talking about the replacement fill valves available at our local stores -- everything seems to be around 8" or higher.

Ron_Jeremy

Reaction score
I just had an idea. Maybe I could extend the overflow pipe or replace it with a new longer pipe? That way I could use a universal fill valve and I could stuff a brick or something inside the tank to artificially raise the water level so we're not using too much water.

Thoughts?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The flapper determines how much water leaves the bowl. They have some that are adjustable. You won't need the brick.
Extending the overflow, making sure there is no leak would work.
A different flush valve? I see the one listed is very short, but maybe someone knows of one for a one-piece, 2" flush valve that would fit for that.

Ron_Jeremy

Reaction score
Hi @Marlinman thx for the help. A couple days ago I ordered a new fill valve online. It looks very similar to the one you mentioned. If mine doesn't work I'll try the Coast 49106, and if that doesn't work I'm replacing the toilet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks