CST746, New Line of Toto Drake3 Toilets eg CST746CSM

Users who are viewing this thread

tom in NC

Reaction score
Browsing the Toto site, I came across some new style very compact Drakes. They come in various flush configurations.

Here is a link to one of them:
https://www.totousa.com/drake-two-piece-toilet-16-08-gpf-elongated-bowl

Is there any feedback from installers yet? Can I hope that it is at least as good as the "classic" Drakes?

cst746-terrylove-03.jpg

cst746-terrylove-05.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Doesn't size up different than the Drake or Drake II series. This model is a dual flush, .8 or 1.6 gallons that differentiate from the others.

Treeman

Reaction score
Man, the water surface area seems very tiny at a tad over 5.5 inches x 4 inches.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com

First look at the new dual flush CST746 series.
What I don't talk about in the video is:

Very little water in the bowl.
It needs more cleaning with a brush.

I don't think I will be selling very many of these.
I plan on staying with the original Drake, CST743 and CST744 versions
and the Drake II, CST454 and CST453

Last edited:

CindyLou204

Reaction score
Hi Terry,

A few questions for you:

1-Any updates on performance of this model?
2-Does it clear/clean the bowl (or leave any marks behind) with every flush?
3-Any complaint about backsplash from the ladies?
4-What lid did you choose and is there a white wooden seat that would nicely fit the smooth round shape of the (elongated) bowl? Most seats are more pointed at the front.

Thanks so much in advance.

CindyLou204

Reaction score
For a new installation: If I have a true 12" rough in, can the toilet be shifted slightly closer to the wall (misaligned with the drain pipe by 0.5-0.75 inches) to eliminate the 0.75 inch gap between the tank and the wall?

tarjan

Reaction score
question, on this unit the hose that normally directs water from the top of the water tower (probably wrong term) in the tank that goes to the overflow in most toilets seems to be overshooting it. So it is just acting as a tank fill and no water is going into the overflow. Is that correct positioning?

PB21

Reaction score
This is by far the worst toilet I've ever owned. After the first two weeks of use, it has clogged almost every time. The design seems to be the reason. There is NO WATER that actually sits in the bowl, only a little bit at the trapway opening (pictured), and there is a horizontal ledge (pictured) at the trapway opening, that (sorry for the unavoidable gross talk), along with the dry bowl, causes stuff to get caught on that and then get folded in half against the back of the trapway opening, resulting in a clog at the opening (which is no fun to remove), and it’s not from paper, which is always sparingly used. The toilet has to be flushed WHILE going and after, to try to avoid clogging, which doesn’t always work….There go all the water savings.

Sticking_Smudge area_3.jpg Horizontal ledge_2.jpg

Then, there’s the sticking/smudging & smell problem. Because of the dry bowl, stuff gets stuck to the sides & back of the bowl, which doesn’t get flushed away even after 5 full flushes. This toilet has needed to be cleaned with paper, or a brush, after EACH use. The “Tornado” flush isn’t really that powerful, and it swirls around the bowl like any other swirl-type flush. It also misses a portion of the bowl just above the trapway opening (pictured), and that’s where the most persistent sticking/smudging occurs. In our experience, there is NO functional difference in Toto’s proprietary cefiontech glaze vs the glaze that was used in other brands owned previously (Kohler, American Standard)...stuff is going to smudge and stick to any dry surface, and this toilet does NOT wash it away any better. The other toilets at least had water in resting the bowl to help w/ this issue, and also to help avoid clogs. Also, because of no water in the bowl, there is a horrible smell during and after use.

A toilet should not be a source of stress before, during, and after use!

UPDATE:
After a month, I drained, dried, and applied Spray wax (Turtle Ice), which helped a little, but VERY LITTLE.
I ended up taking it to Habitat For Humanity, and while I was there, bought a used (but very clean) American Standard (2 1/8' trapway) for $25. I cleaned and waxed it, and it's working MUCH better than the Toto. It doesn't clog, and because water sits in the bowl, there's no mess left after flushing.

toto-cst746-tile.jpg

TOTO CST746CSMG

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks