New laundry room

Users who are viewing this thread

butchdsd

Reaction score
Hello every one...
This is my first post and I have a few questions.

Screenshot_20200706-104004_Gallery.jpg

The project started out as a garage floor tile job...that has now expanded into an enclosed laundry room(existing laundry room).
The laundry room is on-slab with the drain coming from the crawl space in the adjacent house structure.

The drain is 1-1/2" copper and the washer and laundry sink are the only fixtures attached to the copper drain line...The other end of the copper line terminates above the roof line(vent)..

The picture above shows the desired layout of the remodeled laundry room. The laundry box is located on the right side of the picture and the sink is 40" to the left of that(ignore the electrical box...will be relocated).
Now for the questions: Can I use one drain line for the laundry box and the sink or do I need to run two? What fittings to use would be helpful.
Next question is how to vent the laundry box and the sink. Would it be preferable to remove a portion of the 1-1/2" copper drain/vent line and use ABS to tie in the drain/drains and vent/vents?

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Any information would be greatly appreciated..

Butch C.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
That is an exterior wall so I do not know if you need to worry about freezing temps for the water lines? I assume you are using a laundry stack.

I would swap the sink and laundry and place the washer drain on the same wall as it is now but closer to the corner. You can vent it right there and bring the drain to the existing location. If the new location is 5' from the existing drain and vent, another vent would don't be needed. Most machines the hoses are long enough and my son has been doing it that way for years in his laundry room. For the sink just use an AAV. Also, since there is an exterior door that swings inward, it could bang into the laundry stack.

Current code requires a 2" drain for washing machines but since your drain is 1.5" copper below the floor, you'll need to stay at 1.5" with PVC. To replace it all the way to the main stack, it probably mess up your kitchen sink drain.

Laundry.jpg

butchdsd

Reaction score
Thank you for the response WorthFlorida...
I should have stated that the laundry room will have two new walls built when the garage floor tile goes in...the new wall will run parallel to the wall with the waste stack ...Just behind the door leading outside...
I can increase the drain size to 2"...just need to access the crawlspace....the laundry and sink drain are the only fixtures on that 1.5" copper line..
Appreciate the graphics on the original picture for clarity....

I should also mention...all wall surfaces will be covered with ceramic tile...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks