New Kohler Wellworth leaks at tank when flushed

Users who are viewing this thread

Mastiff

Reaction score
Guys, I'm pulling my hair out. I've had the tank on and off a few times, torquing the three mounting bolts like crazy and it leaks quite badly where the tank meets the bowl. Only when flushing, so it's the main seal. Any ideas what to look for?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is it the hard rubber kind? Vs the foam the hard rubber kind is more leaky. I sometimes dope them just so it slides into its crevis and seals.

It could also be a crack.

Mastiff

Reaction score
Is it the hard rubber kind? Vs the foam the hard rubber kind is more leaky. I sometimes dope them just so it slides into its crevis and seals.

It could also be a crack.
Yeah, it's just plain rubber, sort of cone shaped 1/8" thick at best. I'm used to the spongy kind where you are noticeably compressing them. I torqued it way more than I thought appropriate and it's not visibly leaking, but I'm not super confident.

Don't think I'll buy Kohler in the future. Why mess with a tried and true design?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
We install a Lot of Wellworth and Highline toilets and have had zero issue with sealing between tank to bowl that I'm aware. You should still feel that the gasket makes contact and compresses when you place the tank. Tho, perhaps there is a deformity on the bowl side that makes the opening larger than the gasket can cover? I would imagine too that almost any foam gasket could be placed in the same space provided its similar diameter.

Or if its a brand new toilet, call Kohler and have them deal with it. Likely they will send you a new bowl.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks