New Kohler Sink Drain Slow Dripping Leaks

Users who are viewing this thread

Chuck B

sea-bee
Reaction score
Installed (and reinstalled 3x) new waterfall style Kohler bath faucet drain on new integrated molded sink. Hand tightened nut under sink per instructions at various hand tightness levels. Should I use the channel locks for a slightly tighter fit? Placed thin rubber washer under drain at top of bowl, and larger washer above nut under sink per instructions. Getting slow drip.

Did not use plumbers putty per instructions. If I were to try putty, would I eliminate thin washer at top under drain? Or add putty above or below keeping washer?

Should I try Teflon tape on drain tailpiece under sink before threading on nut?

Frustrating. Thanks.

Last edited:

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
Installed (and reinstalled 3x) new waterfall style Kohler bath faucet drain on new integrated molded sink. Hand tightened nut under sink per instructions at various hand tightness levels. Should I use the channel locks for a slightly tighter fit? Placed thin rubber washer under drain at top of bowl, and larger washer above nut under sink per instructions. Getting slow drip.

Did not use plumbers putty per instructions. If I were to try putty, would I eliminate thin washer at top under drain? Or add putty above or below keeping washer?

Frustrating. Thanks.
Pictures help. Does it have an overflow? Is it mechanical? Did it come with the sink? I'll do a few wraps of Teflon on the threads and even a bead of silicone

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score

Frustrating. Thanks.
If the basket strainer is leaking, pull it out and use plumbers putty. Get rid of that rubber. it makes the drain ride too high anyways. I prefer using a generous bead of clear 100% silicone (instead of plumbers putty). Most of the other guys will disagree with that. But I've had good success doing basket strainers this way, and for a long, long time. Just get it snug. I like to give a good 1/4-turn past hand-tight.

Chuck B

sea-bee
Reaction score
Pictures help. Does it have an overflow? Is it mechanical? Did it come with the sink? I'll do a few wraps of Teflon on the threads and even a bead of silicone

Tried Teflon tape on threads, replaced washer at top of drain with plumbers putty. Still slight drip. Push up and down stopper. Kohler. Are you suggesting 100% silicon on threads THEN Teflon tape, or tape first. Please advise and thanks a lot Michael!

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Could be what's mentioned above, and could be:
- you are not tightening enough.
- your sink hole is not true. A little grinding can remedy the situation if that's the case.
How about trying a different drain set? pick up a universal drain set in any store.

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Tried Teflon tape on threads, replaced washer at top of drain with plumbers putty. Still slight drip. Push up and down stopper. Kohler. Are you suggesting 100% silicon on threads THEN Teflon tape, or tape first. Please advise and thanks a lot Michael!
No. never put silicone on the threads. Put the bead of silicone on the underside of the strainer where the strainer makes contact with the sink. Then tighten things back up snug-tight (no gorilla grip). Use you finger to remove excess silicone that squishes out. Use a paper towel to clean/shine it up afterwards. If I misunderstood what you're trying to accomplish, please send pictures

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks