New kitchen sink/garbage disposal but PVC pipe problems...

Users who are viewing this thread

JamesD2020

Reaction score
Hi all I have a PVC pipe that goes from the nipple straight up to nearly the height of the countertops. Unfortunately my new sink's drain comes just about over this pipe and limits the installation of a garbage disposal here. I have tried moving the angle of this drain pipe but to no avail... The pipe is firmly jointed but not sure how. I suppose I am using the wrong wrench but thats the newbie plumber in me right there refusing to call for a professional. I need help and suggestions as to if there is any weak point that I should know about like use a hair dryer to heat up anything to soften and try to force it. Whether the whole lefty loosey/right tighty applies, as well as which pipe part I should focus on turning? I figured the part at the opening should be the easiest but its got the smaller pvc pipe above holding the air intake and on the bottom is connected to the larger drain pipe. I am not sure if they are threaded or what. Here are some pictures. Please let me know.

Attachments

• DrainPipe into the Ground.jpg
    DrainPipe into the Ground.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 832
  • DrainPipe in the Way of Disposal.jpg
    DrainPipe in the Way of Disposal.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 780

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That pipe and fitting is glued.
Please don't take a hair dryer to heat and twist it.
You will need to cut and relocated the pipes. New fittings, glue and primer. You can offset with 45's.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
This is time for my rant about PVC "glue" It isn't glue at all. It is solvent that chemically welds the joint together.

Reach4

Reaction score
JamesD2020, consider that if you have to replace that Badger Insinkerator, you may want upgrade to an Evolution model, which is a little bigger. So when you are doing your drain changes, maybe consider that your next unit may be a little larger.

This is time for my rant about PVC "glue" It isn't glue at all. It is solvent that chemically welds the joint together.
Do you prefer the term "PVC cement" over "PVC glue"? That is what the can says. PVC glue is an easy to understand term that does not confuse people. People today don't think in terms of the substance made from hoofs and hides when they hear "glue".

Last edited:

JamesD2020

Reaction score
That pipe and fitting is glued.
Please don't take a hair dryer to heat and twist it.
You will need to cut and relocated the pipes. New fittings, glue and primer. You can offset with 45's.

Ok thanks, how do i cut out the PVC and redo the nipple? I assume that is what you mean? I thought at least the nipple was threaded so im not quite sure how ill be able to do it.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the vertical pipe is in the way you have to move it over. To do that you need to cut it a few inches above the bottom of the cabinet and re-build the pipe so it will work with the disaposer that you have. Something like this:
AAV_trap45.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If that is that confusing, maybe YOU should not be doing it, but call a plumber instead before you break something and have a major "mess" on your hans.

JamesD2020

Reaction score
Id honestly prefer to keep it simple and just cut the drain 2" from the bottom and move the side arm inlet pipe to the other side. This house isn't any special as we are selling it in a couple months and this was part of the kitchen remodel so additional upgrades (such as a larger model disposal) would be left to the next owner. Is it possible to do the cut, then rotate the housing pipe over by about 45 degrees, then reconnect with a banded coupler? This would allow for the disposal to be installed then customize the p-trap assembly fitting to connect to the disposal's outlet? Just thinking instead of this diagram and all new pipe parts that I might have to buy when I might be able to just cut at the bottom and couple the pipes together.

If the vertical pipe is in the way you have to move it over. To do that you need to cut it a few inches above the bottom of the cabinet and re-build the pipe so it will work with the disaposer that you have. Something like this:
View attachment 33744

Reach4

Reaction score
Is it possible to do the cut, then rotate the housing pipe over by about 45 degrees, then reconnect with a banded coupler?
Yes. Mission CP-200 or Proflex 3000-22 can couple 2-inch PVC. You can rotate as you wish now or in the future. Click Inbox above.

Your original description could be interpreted as there maybe being an interference with the vertical pipe and the housing of your disposal.

JamesD2020

Reaction score
Yes. Mission CP-200 or Proflex 3000-22 can couple 2-inch PVC. You can rotate as you wish now or in the future. Click Inbox above.

Your original description could be interpreted as there maybe being an interference with the vertical pipe and the housing of your disposal.
Hopefully Lowes sells this, going to try this method. I suppose I have to return 1-1/2 in Nominal PVC Cutting tool and get a 2" cutting version so that I can make a perfect and level cut or just attempt to cut straight across and the banded coupler takes care of any deficiency.

Reach4

Reaction score
Those squeeze type cutters don't make a totally square cut either.

I would think a hacksaw would be fine if you draw a ring around the pipe first to use as a guide. Be careful. Hold the saw horizontal. A piece of string can help with drawing that line with a marker.

JamesD2020

Reaction score
Ok so cutting was a pain because i didnt have enough clearance around that pipe so I did the best I could while I was twisting around. Trying to hacksaw through was a problem as its almost near imposssible to keep it straight and level so I just used a 2inch nominal cutter. Its not completely even but I am certain the compression from the branded coupler is as tight as tight can go. Just wondering if its plausible if I should put plumber's putty inside the rubber gasket thingy to keep it watersealed?

Attachments

• BandedCoupler.jpg
    BandedCoupler.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 692
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks