New Kitchen plumbing help

Users who are viewing this thread

Zac_sta

Reaction score
Wrapping up a recent kitchen remodel. Ran new plumbing nearly identical to the old setup (old sink was double bowl with separate waste lines feeding into one 2 inch horizontal) I turned the water on a few days ago and the sink was draining very slowly. I suspected a clog after not using it for nearly 2 months. Removed the rubber boot on the bottom and the water was just sitting there. Not draining. Snaked it and it all rushed down. Problem solved. Got it all back together and still having the same issue. I’m suspecting a venting issue now? Or I never cleared the clog fully. Anyways, here’s a few pictures of what I have. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

zac_sta-02.jpg

zac_sta-03.jpg

JoeJee

HVAC Contractor
Reaction score
I am not a plumber but I agree you are missing your vent. Looks like you may have an s trap? If you are in IPC you might be able to use an AAV? Probably still have a clog though

Zac_sta

Reaction score
I should’ve mentioned that this is a vertical 2 inch stack going straight up through the roof. That’s why I suspect a clog, didn’t change anything with the stack. I’m still debating about putting an AAV under the sink

0DDFCC2F-F9E0-49C0-8EEE-EA9A14B2D4E1.jpeg

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your photos show 3 problems:

1) The dishwasher hose need a high loop. It should come into the cabinet, rise up to the just under the countertop, and then fall to the sink tailpiece connection. Otherwise, with the slow draining you are having, if water backed up into the sink it would also back up into the dishwasher; it may have already.

2) The sink trap absolutely needs a vent at the trap elevation (within one pipe diameter). That could be an AAV, it would be between the trap outlet and the elbow where the drain turns down. They make tubular kits that go on the trap arm and provide the necessary 4" rise from trap arm to AAV.

3) The rubber coupling below connecting PVC to copper needs to be a shielded rubber coupling, e.g. Fernco Proflex or Mission Bandseal.

Item (2) might be related to you slow draining, but most likely you have a downstream clog.

Cheers, Wayne

Zac_sta

Reaction score
Your photos show 3 problems:

1) The dishwasher hose need a high loop. It should come into the cabinet, rise up to the just under the countertop, and then fall to the sink tailpiece connection. Otherwise, with the slow draining you are having, if water backed up into the sink it would also back up into the dishwasher; it may have already.

2) The sink trap absolutely needs a vent at the trap elevation (within one pipe diameter). That could be an AAV, it would be between the trap outlet and the elbow where the drain turns down. They make tubular kits that go on the trap arm and provide the necessary 4" rise from trap arm to AAV.

3) The rubber coupling below connecting PVC to copper needs to be a shielded rubber coupling, e.g. Fernco Proflex or Mission Bandseal.

Item (2) might be related to you slow draining, but most likely you have a downstream clog.

Cheers, Wayne
Thanks for the input, appreciate it. Had a plumber come out and snake, turns out that was the problem, right at the elbow once the pipe goes into the floor. Dishwasher hadn’t been ran yet, just plugged so it didn’t back up into the cabinet, will be adding a high loop. Also, currently adding an AAV and replacing that coupling with the proper one

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks