New kitchen, new sink, drain too high!

Users who are viewing this thread

jeltring67

Reaction score
Just completed a kitchen reno. I measured the new sink depth but did not factor under mount vs. top mount. So now my plumbing does not line up.

The bigger problem is that my sink is under a window. So the drain runs about 2.5 feet to the left. Where it hits a T. The vent goes straight up and the drain goes down to the basement ceiling.

My plumber says my only option is to either cut out the back of multiple cabinets to lower the drain OR came at it from the outside by removing siding to expose the pipes and have access.

Obviously, this bums me out.

I do have a question for this group. Since I do have easy access to the drain pipe in the basement ceiling, would it be permissible to drain through the bottom of my cabinet and floor meeting up with the existing drain in the basement. And then from within the cabinet and from above the trap, connect to the old drain to serve as the vent?

Any and all advice appreciated.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Around here they let you plumb the kitchen sink with an AAV for venting.
With that, you could come up from the bottom of the cabinet, install a santee for the p-trap and above that install an AAV for venting.

I would prefer that to using the horizontal trap arm as a vent. I suppose you could plumb that way though, and make sure you leave a cleanout to clear the vent out if needed. That would not pass a plumbing inspection though.

seaton_sink_1.jpg

Last edited:

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Terry's on track here. It'll work. Up in New England they would send a SWAT team to your house to take you out if you ran the drain through the floor.

jeltring67

Reaction score
Thanks, Terry. This is great news. I will get a couple opinions from different plumbers. But this gives me hope that there is an 'easier' option that will pass.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Not all places will allow an AAV, but if they will, it works. The hassle is, an AAV eventually wears out and needs to be replaced, a proper vent should last forever.

jeltring67

Reaction score
Thanks, jadnashua. We do have a plan to reside the front of our house and would take that opportunity to put in a proper vent. Trying to pass code near term. I'm also wondering if an island loop would allow me to permanently tie into the vent stack in a way that will pass. I feel well armed to ask questions of the plumbers I bring in.

jeltring67

Reaction score
I'm resurrecting this post. After speaking to a few local plumbers I was left with the understanding that my only option, that would pass inspection, is to open the wall and then lower the T.

When the kitchen was done I just wanted to get the sink operational so I reversed the trap to make everything "fit". The sink drains perfectly and the fittings do not leak even though there is always water in the horizontal run. Thus we have been living with this for nearly two years.

I have been spending a good deal of time on this site trying to find a less intrusive fix that will allow me to pass inspection. Now I wonder if I could just install the dishwasher wye horizontally? This would allow me to shorten the tailpiece to create the vertical room to install the trap correctly.

Thanks
Jeff

Attachments

• IMG_1126.jpg
    IMG_1126.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 552

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
How far is it to the vertical drain and vent stack? You only need the cut the back of that cabinet open in that location to lower the tee. The trap arm can run within the cabinets to reach that location.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
From the wall can a 45 degree fitting be used. Looks like it will run right to the tail piece and the little horizontal piece can be removed. You may need an extension after the dishwasher pipe to reach the p-trap and the p-trap can be installed correctly.

jeltring67

Reaction score
How far is it to the vertical drain and vent stack? You only need the cut the back of that cabinet open in that location to lower the tee. The trap arm can run within the cabinets to reach that location.

The vent stack is actually in the cabinet to the left of this one. The sink in under a window.

jeltring67

Reaction score
From the wall can a 45 degree fitting be used. Looks like it will run right to the tail piece and the little horizontal piece can be removed. You may need an extension after the dishwasher pipe to reach the p-trap and the p-trap can be installed correctly.

Brilliant! I will give this a shot.

Thanks
Jeff

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks