New kitchen faucet install: should silicone grease be used?

Users who are viewing this thread

Cfipp

Reaction score
I am installing a new kitchen faucet. Do you recommend application of silicone grease to any of the threads? How about the o-rings?

About how often should kitchen and bath sink faucets be opened up to reapply silicone grease? Once a year? Twice a year? Is this a routine maintenance you do in your home?

Thanks!
Carol

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
Im assuming you mean plumbers grease. New faucets come greased. Some will come with a little grease package. You only grease them when they need it. Which is not too often.

Cfipp

Reaction score
@plumber69, thanks for your reply. No, I am specifically referring to silicone grease. (Here is an explanation of the difference between plumber's grease and silicone grease for anyone interested: https://terrylove.com/forums/index....ease-vs-danco-plumbers-silicone-grease.15916/ From what I understand, any petroleum-based lubricant can cause o-rings to swell.)

I looked for a small packet of grease in the box containing my new Moen faucet, but nope - none enclosed.

I know that my old faucet leaked due to the swivel getting too dry and rough and the o-ring wore out. (I'd include a link to my thread on that subject but for some reason, my thread just disappeared. So disappointing! No explanation whatsoever - just gone.) So I want to open up the new faucet and lubricate often enough to prevent that. I know it has to be more frequently than I was doing it (never), LOL.

I'd love to hear from some others. What do you do?

Carol

Reach4

Reaction score
You would not re-grease seals as a maintenance item. I would lube o-rings and rubber gaskets during install or re-install, but I tend to do more than is normal in that regard. I suspect the grease helps the seal get seated better rather than some micro-wrinkle. I am not a plumber

For the threads, usually you don't use grease. The grease would be good if you somehow have trouble applying enough tightening torque. It wll cause the nut to tighten a little more for the same amount of torque applied.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
SOmetimes, I've found the factory grease application is either non-existent, or pretty sparse. It doesn't hurt to add some, but may not help in the least. Some are engineered better than others.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
If it's a faucet that anyone that will be drinking water from, keep the grease away. Moen 1222 replacement cartridges do come with a small packet of lubricant to cover the rubber parts so it can slip into an already tight valve body. It has nothing to do with the performance or longevity of the valve parts. Water is actually a lubricant. I've removed a few of these cartridges and usually the rubber parts tear out. The very old all brass valve body threads and stems probably could have used a little lube to extend the life of the treads but today's valves are all plastic and nylon and no screw threads.

upload_2018-12-3_22-20-2.jpeg

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, when I had to replace some parts in a Delta tub/shower valve, it was REALLY difficult to insert it into the valve body until I added some silicon plumber's grease to it. Dry rubber on dry brass doesn't slide well and potentially, you could roll the o-ring or damage them without during the process.

Cfipp

Reaction score
I was watching this YouTube video about Delta faucet repair and at 4:00, he puts two o-rings on and then lubricates them with "waterproof grease":
He says, "Use waterproof grease and grease those o-rings up because it will allow the nozzle to swing freely. ... Trust me, I've been doing this way too long to steer you in the wrong direction."

I was also told by the local plumbing supply guy that the reason I had a leak down the center hole on my old kitchen faucet was because the o-ring that allowed the nozzle to swing left and right got dried out and cracked and there was a small leak in there that went undetected. (I had a post on the subject but the whole thread has gone missing.) So the local plumbing supply guy echos exactly what Jim said, above.

So those were the things that prompted me to want to add additional lubricant in the form of silicone grease.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks