New iron filter or convert old softener

Users who are viewing this thread

Bannerman

Reaction score
my suspicion that this very fine red clay in the pipes, compounded by iron eating bacteria.
As iron is currently not being removed, the red residue in the toilet tank you previously mentioned, may not be IRB but likely oxidized iron.

Ferrous iron also called 'clear water iron' as the iron will typically not change the color of the water directly from the well. Ferrous iron will become oxidized with exposed to sufficient oxygen such as when sitting for an extended time in a drinking glass or toilet tank, which will convert it to a Ferric state which will sometimes cause the water to become red or more commonly, precipitate out as a solid (rust). In water treatment, to remove ferrous iron at point of entry, it is usually first oxidized with a suitable oxidant such as chlorine, hydrogen peroxide, ozone or air so the resulting ferric solids maybe filtered out as sediment.

Unless the red residue in the toilet tanks is slimy, it is likely to be ferric iron residue.

Well drilling, plumbing and water treatment are each specialty trades.

Last edited:

davidl340

Reaction score
The well casing extends 18" up from ground, nowhere near anything that would flood.

I do suspect iron is the main culprit. 80' of the top of the drop pipe was covered in red/brown slime and the remainder was clean. Down here they drill 2 tiny holes in the top of the drop pipe a few feet down to let air into the pipe when the pump shuts off (therefore into the tank) . This in turn allows water to spray out and aerate the top of the well when pumping, I think this oxidizes the iron.

In the past I had considered a chlorine injection system that would oxidize any iron and kill anything else followed by a sediment filter. I have a 220 gallon galvanized pressure tank that could maybe double as a contact tank. Just ideas. I guess I'll regroup after some tests.

On cleaning out the well, would take some doing, partially due to probably having to hire someone to pull the pump; they hung it on 140' of 1-1/4" threaded sch 80 PVC with no safety rope, I could pull it but would take building some tools. Supposedly my well is 500' ft deep also.

Reach4

Reaction score
In the past I had considered a chlorine injection system that would oxidize any iron and kill anything else followed by a sediment filter. I have a 220 gallon galvanized pressure tank that could maybe double as a contact tank. Just ideas. I guess I'll regroup after some tests.
Better yet, use a backwashing GAC tank as both a mechanical filter and a thing to remove residual chlorine.

That is not going to help the well and pump environment, however.

OK, no flood. Too bad, because that might have indicated a one-time event. I had asked about the casing height on the other thread. https://terrylove.com/forums/index....-fouled-pump-whew-what-now.90768/#post-653156

Water Pro

In the Trades
Reaction score
As iron is currently not being removed, the red residue in the toilet tank you previously mentioned, may not be IRB but likely oxidized iron.

Ferrous iron also called 'clear water iron' as the iron will typically not change the color of the water directly from the well. Ferrous iron will become oxidized with exposed to sufficient oxygen such as when sitting for an extended time in a drinking glass or toilet tank, which will convert it to a Ferric state which will sometimes cause the water to become red or more commonly, precipitate out as a solid (rust). In water treatment, to remove ferrous iron at point of entry, it is usually first oxidized with a suitable oxidant such as chlorine, hydrogen peroxide, ozone or air so the resulting ferric solids maybe filtered out as sediment.

Unless the red residue in the toilet tanks is slimy, it is likely to be ferric iron residue.

Well drilling, plumbing and water treatment are each specialty trades.
all good info. the only thing I would add (regarding oxidizer options) is that, while H202, O3 and air all oxidize, they rely on catalytic carbon for removal of ferric. Cl, however, (while requiring an extra retention tank initially to provide the required 30 minutes of contact time) can utilize regular GAC. (only to remove residual Cl). The advantages to this configuration are huge cost savings on chemicals over the life of the system (compared to H2O2), likely no repair/maintenance costs (such as on air pumps, o3 generators, media changes, valve repairs, etc), and greatly increased longevity and reliability of the system (as compared to the other options). a simple crack of the lower drain (on the retention) periodically is all that's required. practically maintenance free. I should note, however, that H2O2 injection/retention is more effective (than Cl) at removing very high levels of manganese.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
all good info. the only thing I would add (regarding oxidizer options) is that, while H202, O3 and air all oxidize, they rely on catalytic carbon for removal of ferric.
Ferric can normally be removed by mechanical means, unless the particles are too small.

Residual H2O2 can be at a lot higher levels than Cl, and still meet drinking water standards.

My thinking is that many setups can switch from one to the other to let you try. Don't mix them tho.

Water Pro

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ferric can normally be removed by mechanical means, unless the particles are too small.

Residual H2O2 can be at a lot higher levels than Cl, and still meet drinking water standards.

My thinking is that many setups can switch from one to the other to let you try. Don't mix them tho.
while ferric absolutely can be removed by (mechanical) filtration prior to oxidation of ferrous, (followed by catalytic), a 120 gallon retention tank combined with Cl injection doesn't need to distinguish between the two (ferrous or ferric), they both settle out. This eliminates the need for filter changes. it all comes down to application however. If only 3 or 4 ppm exist, mechanical then oxidation followed by catalytic is a viable option, but (the advantages I've described above aside) the retention/Cl injection method I've described can treat many more ppm Fe effectively. I've personally treated as much as 8 ppm with this method. I'm confident it would treat probably 15 ppm and more if sodium hypochlorite was utilized and/or perhaps coupled with dual peristaltic pumps.

Last edited:

Water Pro

In the Trades
Reaction score
while ferric absolutely can be removed by filtration prior to oxidation of ferrous, (followed by catalytic), a 120 gallon retention tank combined with Cl injection doesn't need to distinguish between the two (ferrous not ferric), they both settle out. This eliminates the need for filter changes. it all comes to to application however. If only 3 or 4 ppm exist, mechanical then oxidation followed by catalytic is a viable option, but (the advantages I've described above aside) the retention Cl I've described can treat many more ppm Fe effectively. I've personally treated as much as 8 ppm with this method. I'm confident it would treat probably 15 ppm or more if sodium hypochlorite was utilized and perhaps coupled with dual peristaltic pumps.

Water Pro

In the Trades
Reaction score
Like two-channel peristaltic pumps, pumping two things at once? Or two separate pumps pumping what?
two separate pumps. with one pump and sodium hypochlorite probably 15 ppm is possible. with two pumps and maybe another retention tank to boot, sky's the limit figuratively speaking. both pumping cl or hypochlorite. the only limiting factor is that you ensure enough available Cl and contact time. this is all in theory though as I've never seen greater than 8 ppm. levels of over 10ppm Fe are likely very rare

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
You are thinking two pumps pumping the same thing to the same place? I am thinking they make bigger tubes to pump more. Or more likely, just make the solution in the solution tank stronger. I could see chlorine bleach earlier in the path, and potash to raise pH (not for this case) farther along the line. Potash makes bleach less active.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks