new installation, wobble tanks

Users who are viewing this thread

jantee

Reaction score
We have a new house and the toliets are installed several inches from the wall and the tanks are very loose. The builder says this is common practice, but the toilets feel very insecure to me and I have never seen toilets so far form the wall.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Most tanks will have some movement. If it doesn't leak, then why worry.

If the rough-in is at 12", you will likely see 3/4" of space behind the tank, which varies between toilets. Some plumbers will rough in at 12.5" just in case a homeowner decides to have tile or wainscoting behind.

If the rough-in is not at 12", several things could have happened.

There maybe something like a floor joist, pipe, vent, foundation wall in the way.

It could be the wall was moved from the plans, or missed, or framed with a different dimension, sheath with added or less material.

I would rather the tanks not touch the wall. I like air movement around the porcelain.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
No matter how it is installed, a toile tank must NEVER be used as a backrest. If someone in your household has this habbit, you must make them stop.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks