New install- Dripping Moen M-Core shower

Users who are viewing this thread

Ramias

Reaction score
Bathroom renovation. His/Hers showers. Installed the first one (his) and had to use the Moen extension kit since when dry-fitting the screws would not reach to mount the first plate.

Shower works fine. Except when I turn the water off there is a frequent drip - more than what would just be residual water in the pipes dripping from gravity. When I turn off the main, the drip stops. Main on - drip starts. Makes for a constantly wet shower floor.

I took the cartridge - The Moen 1213 M Core series 3 (blue one) from the "Hers" shower (not yet installed) and still have drips.

The brass "nut" (Extension kit it is brass; original is another metal material) that is the large sleeve that bolts everything on to the valve is tight. Rubber seals all looked fine.

I plan to try to install this without the extension pieces for the cartridge - hopefully there's enough room to attach the water handle - and see if it is an issue with the extension kit. The extension kit has a spacer that installs between parts 3 and 2 in this picture: https://solutions.moen.com/Article_Library/M-Core_Cartridge_Basics. This places part 2 - the pressure balancing puck - at the very end of the "tube?" and thus the need for the longer brass "nut" in the extension kit to hold the cartridge in place. I can't pull this part off with my fingers - but a screw driver or needle nose pliers will get it out.

If I remove the spacer and insert it all the way in the tube I will definitely need needle nose pliers to get it out again if that is required. Is this normal?

I appreciate all the wisdom here on this site.

Thanks

Ramias

Reaction score
Went for it and took the extension out and have the original in and no drips.

Will put the trim plate on tomorrow but am confident it will work based on the dry fit. I just assumed I needed the extension kit since the original screws were not long enough, so all I am using from the extension kits (four of them … 2 per) is the screws! I figure they are about $25 a screw.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks