New house kitchen drain

Users who are viewing this thread

cpowers

Reaction score
Just bought a new home and we are getting some intermittent rotten egg smell. Hard to catch at the right time but I am fairly confident it is from the sink. It appears to me that the disposal and drain is totally missing a trap. I plan on putting one in, but wanted to check with the pro's to be sure I am not missing something, especially since I am not particularly familiar with disposals (also has dishwasher hooked up). Attached pictures. Thoughts and opinions Appreciated.

Thanks!
Chris

Attachments

• 20170926_072535.jpg
    20170926_072535.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 196
  • 20170926_072526.jpg
    20170926_072526.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 166

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
Yes, it needs a trap, and the dishwasher drain hose needs to be looped "high" and secured to the cabinet to prevent back-flow into the dishwasher from the disposal. Since there is no (apparent) vent you'll also need to include an air-admittance valve.

If you paid for a home inspection ask for your money back.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There may be a trap under the floor and if so, putting another trap in the line will prevent the sink from draining. WHO was the "idiot" who did the plumbing? Is this a NEW home, or just one that is new to you?

cpowers

Reaction score
Jadziedzic, thank you. The inspection did not mention the trap, but did mention the high loop. I was not overly concerned as many dishwashers have their own loops in, or I could fix easily.

Hj, The home is 2006, but some remodeling has been done. I suspect the home owner allowed the countertop people install the plumbing. Is there a way to 'check' if there is a trap under floor (basement is finished below there)? I can't imagine there is space there for a 3" trap. I just want to ensure that i'm chasing the right problem.

Plumber69, It does tie into a 3" pipe, any particular negative to that?

Thanks for the help!
Chris

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks