new house design

Users who are viewing this thread

tripod58

Reaction score
This is for my new house I plan on building. I have done some plumbing for a camp but it was only one bath and a kitchen sink. This is a little more complex so I am wondering if this will work and where is the best place to vent and should I use 2" or 1 1/2" pipe for a vent. there will also be a upstairs eventually but I want to go ahead and have the drain pipe at least.

drainage-1.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Basically, EACH fixture should be vented...the distance from the trap to the vent requirement varies depending on the size of the pipe, with bigger ones allowing it to be further apart. If there is more than one floor (from all of the up indications, maybe?), the drain line from above can't be used as the vent for the first floor unless you can combine them above the flood plane of those upstairs.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
We can't tell because there is not enough information on your drawing. As he said venting needs to be done and there are many possibilities of how you do it. There is also a need to actually show the type fittings that you plan on using, and distances that pipes will be running. Generally all drains and vents are pitched at 1/4 " per foot so there also may be structural limitations on where you place pipes. Underground pipes are usually 2" minimum... More to it than you imagine... What code are you under in your area? Are you allowed to pull a DIYer permit in your area? Some states you cannot by law! Others specify that you have to live in the house a certain # of years before it can be sold or, rented...

Still game? We'll Talk! My advice would be to hire a pro. It doesn't sound like you've gotten into the Big Projects hard enough yet. I gather this pipe is going under a slab... Once the cement is poured fixing a mistake is a tough proposition that you want to avoid.

Last edited:

tripod58

Reaction score
As far as putting the pipe on grade that isn't a problem, I actually own a site work business and we put in sewer and storm as well as other uilities, so grade isn't a issue. I am allowed to do my own plumbing. Do I need to use long turn wye's at all my fittings coming of my main trunk? Do the toiletr and tub need to be have a seperate vent pipe, I thought they could be vented together through the roof. Also the 3" line that will be going upstairs be sufficient for a bathroom ( tub,toilet and sink) Those three can be vented together right. Some houses I have seen have a 3" vent what would this be for?

tripod58

Reaction score
the run from left to right is around 80', the one going down in the left corner is about 30', the two going up are around 20', the other three are around 12'

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Well that was quick!
There might be a little more to it...
Those tubs are going to leak...
When you cut the hole in them for the vent to come up through...:mad:
The wife and kids won't like straddling those vent pipes either while they sit in the tub:eek:

Like I said... This is pretty complex you need to get those vents inside where the walls will be! If you don't you'll be busting slab...

Sani-tees on vertical...
wyes and 45's or combos horizontal

BTW the sink vents are wrong!

Spend a little time and be serious or call a plumber!:rolleyes:

why don't you look at these threads...
you don't have to draw like this guy...
but note the detail that went into getting the venting and drainage right!

https://terrylove.com/forums/search.php?searchid=996628

tripod58

Reaction score
that link doesn't work.
I know the drawing suck but I have never used the paint program, I am used to CAD. I am pretty serious about this I just don't know everything about it. I am going to hang out and watch the plumbers at one of my moms houses she is building so I can get a better idea

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Sorry about the bad link.
Search for posts by "Novicepiper"
You don't need to draw like him but...
You have to plan drains and vents like he did...
We need to see specific fittings in places so we know flows of air and waste will be satisfactory.
We'll correct and guide but if I have to draw the whole plan you'd have to hire me!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks