New Home. Toilet rough in mis-match. Right solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

bloodyshogun

Reaction score
Hi, just closed out on a new home, spec built by Pulte Group. I just realized that at one of my bathrooms. There's only about 10.5" of rough-in and they forced a 12" rough-in toilet on. So, the tank is pressing against the way. Lid cannot sit in the tank and toilet doesn't have enough space to stand up without a hand holding. I am going to tear off the tile and replace them anyway (for better tiles), so I am thinking about whether I should make them extend the rough-in and replace the toilet with a 10" rough-in model.

The toilet sits on a slab. How much work is it to tear out concrete and extend the plumbing? I have heard negative things about offset flanges.

What do you think is a better option? Is it better to get to the 12" "standard" rough-in spacing on a new home or replace it with a 10" rough in model?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
By far, the easier thing to do would be to select a 10" RI toilet. That does limit your choices...almost any toilet will be available in 12" RI, but your choices go way down when you need either a 10 or 14" one.

Not all offset toilet flanges are created equal. The ones that don't work well sort of have a pan that drains into the main line offset...trying to make that shift can often lead to clogs. The better ones essentially have an elbow built-into them, and do work.
offset toilet flange.jpg
bad offset toilet flange.jpg
The first one, okay, the second, not so good.

Now, if you want to move it, and put in a conventional flange, how hard that will be will depend on which way the pipe runs and how deep it is...something you can get a feel for if you pull the toilet.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
There is another and easier solution. Toto makes what they call a Uni Fit adapter which will allow one of several models of their toilets to fit a 10", 12", or 14" rough-in. You can find a description an d pictures of this adapter on this forum. Just a couple of quick notes about this adapter. It will only work on specific models of Toto. It is not a universal devices for all toilets. It does use a much different method for installation. Not really difficult, but different than what is commonly used. Rough-in spacing does sometimes vary from the standard 12" because of floor joist spacing or other structural conditions that would require difficult and/or expensive changes. While you can buy a 10" toilet, there are less choices of design available, so the Uni Fit is great way to get more and better choices and fit the space properly.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There are plenty of 10" rough toilet options that will work fine. I would not change the drain.
Almost everyone has several models in 10". You could open the floor up and find out that moving the drain 1.5" is either somewhat easy after breaking things up and patching, or a dumb idea. You don't know until it's too late. It's way easier to just change out the toilet. Some bowls have a 10" tank option, and for some it's a 10" bowl and standard tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks