New home owner - which Toto for no clogs?

Users who are viewing this thread

BMJ

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been reading through your forums and I see that there are a decent number of toilets to choose from; however, some of the reviews are a bit dated... My wife has a tendency to clog the toilet somehow, not enough fiber perhaps? If you guys were to pick one up as of 2017 where the only priority is to never have a toilet clog or need to flush more than once, what would you get?

Or is this one of those purchases where after a certain point in product quality they all work more or less the same?

Thanks

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Happy to help!
This topic comes up every few months so just be aware, it's a common issue.

Personally I have 3 Totos in my house, installed 'em myself with some coaching from the pros on this site, and am very happy with them.

Having said that, one of them does occasionally clog (say once/year or less). But in general, just about any Toto is so well made that they will almost never clog. One thing I learned from Terry on this site is that the quality control at the Toto factories around the world is superb. One thing that makes some toilets clog-prone is that the clay that forms the trapway may "slump" or partially close/obstruct when the toilet is being manufactured, probably because the clay mixture being used is too wet. Toto goes to great pains to make sure their clay is the right viscosity when they mold the toilets so that "slump" isn't usually a problem with their toilets.

You'll see on this site that a number of us seem like Toto salespeople as we are so impressed by them -- but by the same token there are other folks including some of the real veteran pros on the site who have other favorite brands.

Wallijonn

Reaction score
IMO the best way to prevent clogs is to use single ply toilet paper and not use overly absorbent twin plys or silk paper. I use Scott 1000 sheet single ply toilet paper and single ply toilet paper from my local $1 stores. I haven't had a clog in over two years and I seldom have to flush twice, and if I do have to flush twice I make sure that I flush before I wipe, or half way through the process when I'm presented with a very big load. ymmv.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks