New home owner clueless about water softening

Users who are viewing this thread

botch

Reaction score
I just recently purchased a home with a water softener and i'll be honest I have no clue what i'm doing. It came bone dry with no salt. I initially only put a bag in and the water was extremely salty after I regenned. I just picked up a few more bags and i'm regenning now in hopes that the extreme salt taste goes away. Anyway, it says I have over an hour before the process is done so I figured i'd see if anyone has had this problem with salty water and what I may need to do.

I posted a small album of the set up. as you can see it's cramped and I suck at taking pictures. Also, is that pvc tube supposed to be filled with salt? It was like that when I moved in.

Attachments

• 20150927_151517.jpg
    20150927_151517.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 308
  • 20150927_152221.jpg
    20150927_152221.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 600
  • 20150927_152235.jpg
    20150927_152235.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 317

Reach4

Reaction score
No, don't put salt into the white cylinder. I think I would pick+ vacuum out what is there. That tube has a float valve to prevent overfilling of the brine tank with water in case the controller does not function right.
index.php
You can download a controller manual from the link at http://www.softenerparts.com/Clack_WS1_Valve_Parts_s/45.htm

botch

Reaction score
No, don't put salt into the white cylinder. I think I would pick+ vacuum out what is there. That tube has a float valve to prevent overfilling of the brine tank with water in case the controller does not function right.
index.php
You can download a controller manual from the link at http://www.softenerparts.com/Clack_WS1_Valve_Parts_s/45.htm

vacuum it all out? or just uncover the float? would this make my water terribly salty?

botch

Reaction score
index.php

vacuum it all out? or just uncover the float? would this make my water terribly salty?

Reach4

Reaction score
Well, you would like the float to be able to move up freely.
It would also be nice to look down there to see what the water level is.

If the saltiness continues, that could be a sign that the rinse my not be long enough. It could be something wrong inside of the controller. Check back. Somebody with experience and more knowledge will probably have better info for you.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Time to call Roberts. They have no adverse BBB comments, a clean-looking pair of trucks, and seem to have some pride in their work. Local (assuming you're in the Pinckney/Hamburg area), family-owned.

Bannerman

Reaction score
I see a Blue filter housing above the front of the softener. If that filter is in-line to the softener feed, have you replaced or removed the filter cartridge to ensure it isn't impeding water flow to the softener?

Salty water after regeneration can be indicative of insufficient rinse time for the amount of salt used in the regen cycle or it could signify a problem within the resin tank.

Are you able to review and post all programmed settings as well as the BLFC & DLFC numbers, usually indicated on a label somewhere on the valve?

Do you know the total grains capacity (ie: 32,000 grains) or the amount of resin contained (ie: 1.5 cuft) in the resin tank? If not, you could measure the resin tank diameter and height and post that info.

We will also need to know your water test result including hardness and any iron and manganese content as well as your average water consumption or the number of occupants in your home.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
To start, do you have a water softener test kit? I would recommend the Hach 5B. Salty water can be a number of issues ranging from a damaged riser o-ring, low water pressure, a high or restricted drain line, improper settings, bad resin, orn internals on the controller etc. If you want to DIY, you need at least a test kit. The controller is a top of the line Clack WS1, the filter is the Heavy Pentek 2.5" x 10" housing. It probably has a sediment filter in it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks