New home needs new toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Geo422

Reaction score
I had a drake in my last home work just fantastic. I assume it was just a drake or maybe drake 1.
Anyway moved to SD and purchase a house which has America standard install these do not flush well at all.
I got looking at the drakes and saw toto has a drake 2 .
So which Toto which do your plumbers like the best? drake ,drake 2 . Or which Toto does everyone prefer?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Performance wise, the Drake and the Drake II are similar. The II series does have better bowl rinse, and it's what I prefer for my home.
The C454CEFG II series also has the taller bowl, at 16-1/8" instead of the standard height 14-5/8" of the C744E bowl of the Drake.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
The original Drake is also available with an ADA height bowl. CST744EL. I actually just this last weekend installed a Toto Clayton in my father's bedroom. He never saw a need to replace his 1950s vintage American Standard, which actually flushed pretty well although it used at least 5 gallons to do the flush. But he clearly needed a taller toilet now. The Clayton version with the taller bowl (with F in the model number) has a similar flush to the Drake, and it works just great and looks excellent.

Suceress

Reaction score
Does the Drake II come in ADA height with CEFIONTECT/Cefiontect?
Also, I saw the Toto Entrada is very similar to the original Drake. The trap seal and trap are the same size but it has the 1.28gpf tank and has E-Max flushing- I suppose it is most comparable to the Eco Drake? It does not come with the CEFIONTECT but it is cheaper than the Drakes. It comes in "chair height" (16-1/8"). Other than a different shape for the bowl and tank, the Entrada weighs less and has a slimmer tank.

Suceress

Reaction score
Thank you!
I'm debating whether the CEFIONTECT would do any better given what my water did to the finish on the original Drake. But that one is an option. I like the fact that it has no rim for junk to collect under-- I've had the misfortune of trying to scrub under the rim and had stuff fly at my face.

Reach4

Reaction score
I'm debating whether the CEFIONTECT would do any better given what my water did to the finish on the original Drake.
That finish is not as delicate the directions seem to imply. So my opinion is that it may or may not be better than the regular, but I don't think it is worse. I used pumice on my toilet with that finish in the bowl, after more delicate things did not do the job. I am not a pro.

Geo422

Reaction score
Last question has Toto stop putting the Tornado Flush on drake and now just the drake 2 has it?
I saw a new drake and the flush was different had holes under the rim for water to come out.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Last question has Toto stop putting the Tornado Flush on drake and now just the drake 2 has it?
I saw a new drake and the flush was different had holes under the rim for water to come out.

The Original Drake (CST744--) has the rim holes, and always has.

(It has the GMax or EMax flush, which are essentially the same except one is 1.6gpf and one is 1.28gpf).

The Drake II (CST454CEFG) has the Tornado Flush (previously called Double Cyclone Flush), and always has.

Don't think of the Drake II as being the "newer" version of the Drake, like it's the replacement for the Drake. Instead, recognize that it's a completely-different toilet that originally had a different name, but which Toto renamed the Drake II as a marketing thing. It was appropriate because the Drake II kind of fits into the II lineup where the Original Drake fit into the GMax/EMax lineup of toilets, and the Drake II performs very well just as the Original Drake did. The Drake II is a good enough toilet to carry the Drake mantle. Toto has gravitated towards toilets in the II line, but kept the Original Drake and Original Ultramax around (as well as the Clayton and other EMax toilets), because, frankly, people like them, they're available at a good price point, and they continue to be excellent sellers. Toto wasn't stupid enough to shut down Original Drake production in an effort to migrate people towards the Drake II, although they probably considered it. They have certainly made some bonehead moves, like changing the widely-known CEFIONTECT name to CeFIonTeCt, a name that probably sounds snappier in Japan. But wiser heads prevailed about keeping the Original Drake and its ilk in production.

PS My Dad is loving the "F-height" Clayton that I put in his bathroom. Makes it much easier to get up, looks very nice, and flushes very-well.

Last edited:

Geo422

Reaction score
About ten years ago I came here looking for a toilet and Terry recommendation was the Drake .
I was new to Toto and I installed the drake and it had the Double Cyclone Flush .and it was 1.6 gal flush if I remember correctly.or am I wrong on that also and that was the very best toilet I have ever had..and wanted to install it in my new home
So I assume today that all drakes had that flush.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The II flush has a smooth rim and two fairly large outlets that point horizontally that causes the flush water to swirl around the bowl on the way down. Don't think the II series has been around 10-years yet.

eltoks

Reaction score
I need to know which is better. One piece or two piece? Is there any statistic(I am willing to know a rough percentage of users).
Which toilet should I select Toto drake 2 or Toto Ultramax 2?
According to https://terrylove.com/, they are suggesting one-piece(Toto Ultramax 2) as the recommended toilet. Is it because one-piece easy to install. And no need plumber help? For two-piece, you need to joint those two parts and then need to install the toilet. Most likely, plumber helps need for the two pieces set up and installation!

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I need to know which is better. One piece or two piece? Is there any statistic(I am willing to know a rough percentage of users).
2 pieces are lighter to carry up stairs. 2 piece is cheaper. 1 piece is a little easier to keep clean, because there is no joint at the base to tank, however that is overrated probably. 1 piece is higher status. 1 piece comes with a seat included in the Toto offerings, and 2 piece does not. 2 piece requires assembly, which may not be as easy for a beginner as first thought.

Last edited:

Geo422

Reaction score
The II flush has a smooth rim and two fairly large outlets that point horizontally that causes the flush water to swirl around the bowl on the way down. Don't think the II series has been around 10-years yet.
You are correct and I am mistaken it was in 2012 and it was a drake 2 I put in. After Terry’s recommendation...

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score

I agree with the posters above. The two-piece is far-and-away the most-typical toilet in homes today. It is less-expensive, easier to carry, and for many people easier to install, even though you do have to mount the tank on the bowl.

We have several two-piece Totos, and they are excellent. We have one two-piece Toto, the Carlyle II, which is like the Ultramax II but has a special feature that lets it fit on a 10" rough-in. We like it very much, but that's mostly because we like how it looks in the place we put it; it performs basically the same as the two-piece Totos we have elsewhere and look good where we put them. And it has the same flush as the Drake II.

As between the Drake II and the Ultramax II, I would pick the appearance and price-point that you like best, and buy that one. They are both excellent toilets that will flush almost-identically and with which you will be very happy.

(When comparing prices, remember that the Ultramax II comes with a good Toto seat included, so add $40-ish to the price of the Drake II to make it apples-to-apples. But you can use any standard seat, expensive or inexpensive, with the Drake II. Literally hundreds of seats from numerous manufacturers will fit the Drake II [and the Ultramax II, but you already get a seat with it]. That said, the Toto seat is excellent.)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
In a gravity flush toilet, the taller tank, can produce the greatest pressure. It's a subtle difference, as the differences are usually only a couple of inches. Water pressure changes by only 0.43#/foot, so a couple of inches is almost nothing.

Pick the one you like best. If you're going to install it yourself, a 2-piece is easier to carry. AFter that, again, the differences are subtle. Personally, I chose toilets with a skirted base (a Vespin and a Carlyle). I don't really notice a difference between the two in performance (the Vespin is a 2-piece skirted version of the DRake design).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks