new Furnace brand recommendations please?

Users who are viewing this thread

Gdog

write diagnostic firmware for embedded industrial
Reaction score
Bought a 22 yr old house recently. Single level but w/vaulted ceilings in living room and bedrooms. About 1500 sq ft. Natural gas is fuel.

Looking to replace the original furnace (and maybe AC unit too) with something higher efficiency AND quieter. When I'm in the basement and fan is running, can't hear myself think, let alone have an office down there (which is goal).

Last time we bought a house and replaced the furnace and AC, it was 2004 and went with Lennox system. Was quite happy with it. It was fairly high efficiency w/variable speed fan; quite quiet. But was talking to an HVAC contractor a couple of years ago and he was telling me Lennox isn't the name it used to be. True? What's better?

Also thinking of relocating the AC compressor; it's currently just outside the master bedroom window; WTH were they thinking?! May have to add distance between compressor and air changer; would that effect AC performance?

TIA for any recommendations/input!

Fitter30

Reaction score
Brand isn't as important than the contractor. The higher the efficiency in either the furnace or ac the sharper the service person has to be. Contractor has to supply training and proper tools ( lap top with the correct program). Manual j load program should be run to pick the correct size equipment. Changing placement of condenser will not change the performance of it unless its greater than 75'. Usually furnace is noisy because it's oversized, duct to small or return air. Check with your utility companies for rebates see if they offer a energy audit that includes a blower door test.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks