New Furnace 2 pipe question

Users who are viewing this thread

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
Im kinda in a pickle with the side wall venting for new furnace installation. The only way I can do it is to run my exhaust out the back of the house and my air intake out the side of the house.
But see attached picture. Its asking to have them in the same pressure zone

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
?

Attachments

• 20190225_143503.jpg
    20190225_143503.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 171

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Is the issue where you plan to exhaust things there are other things exhausting that could pollute your intake air? Or, is it something else?

One of the major benefits of closed combustions systems is that you don't mess with the internal air. As homes become tighter to help with efficiency, it becomes necessary to engineer fresh air exchange. Burning fuel without a closed combustion (i.e., not pulling it directly from outside but rather through cracks in the building!) is an efficiency and comfort hit. I'd find a way to deal with running them together with the proper termination.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
When my boiler was installed (it's a closed combustion device), the most convenient place to exhaust it and pick up the combustion air had two dryer vents and another exhaust from a furnace within close proximity (it's a townhouse)...IOW, I could not get enough separation from their outlets to my air intake; and, the outlet wasn't really in an ideal place, either. As a result, I ended up having them run both pipes to the other side of the house which was still within the limits listed in the instructions. So, there are numerous reasons why you may not want either the intake or exhaust in a certain place (door, window, overhang, etc., clearances must all be taken into consideration).

There are a lot of different termination configurations, including coaxial, that typically can be used. Regardless, they do need to be installed properly. The installer had the intake/exhaust on mine upside down and on a really cold winter day, the intake iced over, shutting things down. They fixed it, but it should not have happened in the first place.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
When my boiler was installed (it's a closed combustion device), the most convenient place to exhaust it and pick up the combustion air had two dryer vents and another exhaust from a furnace within close proximity (it's a townhouse)...IOW, I could not get enough separation from their outlets to my air intake; and, the outlet wasn't really in an ideal place, either. As a result, I ended up having them run both pipes to the other side of the house which was still within the limits listed in the instructions. So, there are numerous reasons why you may not want either the intake or exhaust in a certain place (door, window, overhang, etc., clearances must all be taken into consideration).

There are a lot of different termination configurations, including coaxial, that typically can be used. Regardless, they do need to be installed properly. The installer had the intake/exhaust on mine upside down and on a really cold winter day, the intake iced over, shutting things down. They fixed it, but it should not have happened in the first place.

Confirming both Murphy's Law, and the adage that the more idiot-proof you make something, the more creative the idiots become!

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
We have dozens of of furnaces with the intake and exhaust going out through the rim joist right next to each other, and it has never been an issue.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
It isn't as bad with furnaces, but throw in a dryer...people that use bleach, the fumes in the dryer's exhaust definitely do not help the intake to a closed combustion device. The instructions on mine specifically say don't do it. In my situation, there were two dryer vents and another furnace exhaust in very close proximity...not a good situation to then suck that stuff in to my boiler. But, the CO, CO2 levels will vary for the intake depending on what's running.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks