new flooring raises height-- new toilet flange

Users who are viewing this thread

Lee Polowczuk

Reaction score
I am putting a new hardwood floor in my bathroom...

i had to put down 5/8" underlayment and then 5/8" hardwood...

so now I am 1 1/8 inches higher.. that's not quite true... i removed a tile floor...

is there a recommendation to make the toilet fit... the old flange appears ok...but the bolts won't be long enough for the toilet...plus they appear rusted.

this toilet has been in for 19 years...

Thanks...

lee

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What's underneath the new stuff? Concrete slab, wooden subfloor, a basement, finished ceiling?

The proper place for the flange is on TOP of the finished floor and bolted through it into the subflooring.

How far below the floor is it?

Lee Polowczuk

Reaction score
concrete slab

I will have to measure: i think a half inch to 5/8" probably a half...or about the height of a standard tile

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
There are two ways you can go. You can do a hack job with ring extenders and/or extra wax rings and pray, or you do it right and hire a plumber to properly install a new flange that will rest on top of the finished floor.

Lee Polowczuk

Reaction score
I have elected to use a ring extender.. the kit comes with two gaskets..i will use on gasket on the underside mating it to the existing ring.

I will then use some tapcons to tie the two together...

then of course the wax ring

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks