New Fleck 5600 - HELP!

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike Larsen

Reaction score
I replaced an old water softener head (that finally died) and installed a brand new Fleck 5600 Metered head. When I called the distributor, I explained my entire setup and replaced everything except the 9x48 water tank and the brine tank (and I do mean EVERYTHING). I verified everything I needed was ordered and waited for everything to arrive. Long story short, I discovered I had no DLFC installed *AFTER* I ran my first regeneration. Did I lose my resin because there was on DLFC installed? The DLFC retaining clip WAS installed, just no DLFC behind it. There is a turbulator installed if that makes any difference.

That being said, what's my resin situation and what size DLFC and BLFC do I need?

Thanks!

-Mike

Last edited:

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
You should have told them what size tank, and they should have asked you what size tank.

Call them and tell them a 9" x 48" (1.0 cuft) and what type resin you have and have them send you what DLFC and BLFC you need for the valve they sold you.

Before you call them, check the level of the resin in the tank is about 15" down from the bottom edge of the dome on top the tank; that's where the straight side starts to curve.

In the dark, hold a light against the side of the tank away from the side you are looking at and look for the light to stop showing through when the light gets down to the level of the resin.

If the tank wont allow light through it, then you have to take the valve off without breaking the distributor tube. Then the DT must be back down touching the bottom of the tank with no gravel etc. under it before screwing the valve back on. Lay the tank down after pouring the water out and lift the bottom and shake it to make the resin all lay on the bottom of the side and put a finger in the end of the DT and put the DT in the tank without 'plowing' resin (hold it up against and slide it along the top side of the tank) until the point of the DT gets into the dimple in the bottom of the tank.

Last edited:

Mike Larsen

Reaction score
You should have told them what size tank, and they should have asked you what size tank.

Call them and tell them a 9" x 48" (1.0 cuft) and what type resin you have and have them send you what DLFC and BLFC you need for the valve they sold you.

I actually did tell them the size (as well as who made the tank and the model number). I assumed they'd size all that for me or at least recommend what I needed. The salt setting was 18 (not the 15 that is what's usually set by default), the BLFC is .5 and no DLFC. They sold me the resin which was installed as well.

Did I lose resin? Do I need to replace it?

Thanks, Gary.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
The only way you will know if and how much resin you lost is to do as Gary said.

Mike Larsen

Reaction score
My tank has a cover on it so I pulled it apart. The resin (there's no gravel) is about 16 1/4" below the bottom edge of the dome. Is that a problem or should I get more and "top it off" so to speak?

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Sorry, I thought you didn't tell them the size of the tank.

They forgot to add the DLFC. Make sure the right injector is in the valve.

You would have to buy at least a 1/4 cuft of resin to 'top it off' if you lost any resin. Ask them what freeboard you should have and go from there. Do not add more than needed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks