New Flange on Lead Pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

RaynLois

Reaction score
As part of a bathroom remodel we are planning on installing ceramic tile. Removed the flooring and remains of the old flange and am trying to figure out the best way to proceed. Purchased one of those flanges with a neoprene gasket to fit non-plastic pipes, but the lead sewer pipe extends 3/8" from the subfloor and the pipe inset on the underside of the flange is only 1/4" inch. Would a shim buildup under the flange provide adequate support or would it be better to go through the pain of trying to cut off the pipe with such a small clearance?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
lead

If it is really a lead flange, then you can just roll the extra material down out of the way. But I would not depend on an expansion seal into a lead bend since the lead can "expand" and break the seal.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You'll need at least 3/8" of exterior rated glue plywood (no d faces) on the floor screwed to the t&g planks, then a properly installed decoupling layer of either cbu or a sheet membrane that is layed in a layer of thinset prior to tiling if you expect it to last. I second the motion, check out the john bridge website for tiling help...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks