new first floor laundry and utility sink in basement, (long)

Users who are viewing this thread

Tjbaudio

Reaction score
Hello all, I have been lurking here a while and have gathered lots of info. I have also managed to get the pluming in my 80 year old house draining better! I am finally starting work on a new laundry room and what is to be the first stage of a full replumb of the house. When I do the kitchen and bath remodel I will replace all drain lines and revent the entire system with PVC. For now I just want to tie into the existing iron stack.

What I have is 4 or 5†cast entering the front of the house 8†above the basement floor. There is a large clean out there. At 24†there is a 1.5†threaded hole in the side (I added a 2†trap and washer pipe directly to this with a reducing ring.) The cast then continues vertically to 5.5 ft and turns to the back of the house where the kitchen and bath are. The kitchen is yet to have a vent added but the main stack has 4†vent next to the toilet. The tub and bathroom sink share an AAV.

I am adding a new laundry room upstairs in an area of the house with a crawl space. There will be a sink on one side of the room and a washer on the other. I will run the 1.5â€vents for both up to the celling and join them to the new main stack vent (16 ft away) when it is installed, for now I may use an AAV on them. The 2â€pipe in the floor will drain from the sink to the washer area and turn towards the basement 13 ft away. At the basement I will drop at a 45 towards the 1.5†hole in the main stack 5 ft away and 5 ft down or so. Into this same hole I want to plum a utility sink and a small stand pipe for AC condensate pump and water softener discharge tube, no washer down there!

My thought for the basement part was 1.5†threaded to male 2†PVC adapter assembly. To this I put a vertical Y to the upstairs laundry, then a horizontal Y to the utility sink, then another horizontal Y to the trap and stand pipe for the pump discharge. This gives me a clean out for the short run to the stack. Do I need an AAV/vent some where in there too? This is rural WI so I can wet vent (like the stand pipe is now). When I redo the stack I will replace the 1.5†fitting with a 4â€T with a 2†fitting on the side and run a vent line to the main vent if needed.

I don't like the 1.5†at the end but I am not ready to do the main stack yet. (can't afford that good toilet Terry likes yet and its too cold on the roof for working on the new vent exit.) It is the part in the basement I am most concerned with.

Thank you for your input!
Tom B

Tjbaudio

Reaction score
ok a few specific questions on this.

By the lack of response I guess I did not word the questions I have very good. :(

First off is 1.5" vent on the washer and sink up stairs enough? From each fixture it will run up the wall 8 or 8 feet then cross to near the center and T. From that T it will have to run 16 feet or so till it hits where the new 3" vent pipe will live some day (next summer) For now I plan on an AAV up there just for this room.

The second part of my project involves the connection to the old cast pipe in the basement. Here I will have the 2" from the laundry heading in at a 45 deg towards the stack. The problem is the threaded hole in the cast iron stack is only 1.5" I also want a utility sink and a small stand pipe for the AC condensate pump and water softener to drain into. Both the sink and the stand pipe will be with in 2 feet of the main stack. Can I use that as a wet vent? Again the keeping in mind this is only a 1.5" hole? Being so close to the main stack I would think it would act as the vent for every thing. Also the drain from the laundry room is coming into that pipe so it also is acting as a wet vent.

I plan on changing the whole stack to PVC next summer so this is only temp but it needs to work.

Thank-you
Tom

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I don't see the complete picture, but I will add a few comments.

If you have been reading a while, you know plumbers don't like AAV's because they are a mechanical device with rubber seals, and as such are virtually guaranteed to fail sometime. But, they are allowed by some codes.

It does not sound like you have proper venting at all.

As far as draining the laundry into a 1½" fitting in the stack, that sound like a point likely to have a lint clog.

If you could post a picture or diagram of your vent layout, there are some pros here who are really sharp on that aspect of the trade and can offer some suggestions.

I understand you need to do something right now to "get by". Plumbers tend to resist that approach because it somehow often ends up being a permanent headache! But, give us some more info and I think someone will help you./

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If all you are running is a washer box and laundry sink a 2" drain is what you need. You need at least 2' between the trap and where the washer hose attatches to the washer box, tie in the sink after the trap with a Y in the crawl space.

If the vents will be in an accessable area you can combine the 2 into an AAV until you can vent out the roof in the spring, you can install the AAV a couple / 3' above the sink till spring if you don't mind looking at it. You can alos add a cleanout above the laundry box on the vent line if you want.

When you tie into the stack add a 2" Y with cleanout and cap about 3" B4 the stack as reducing to 1.5" from 2" will eventualy cause a problem but should work until you can cut the stack and change it to 2"

Does this help.

Last edited:

Tjbaudio

Reaction score
Thank-You so far.
I am working on getting a good picture for you.

One question I have is 1.5"vent ok for the washer and sink? It will be a 2"wast line from the washer clean out to the basement clean out. The wast line from the sink to a long sweep T on the 2" washer drain will be 1.5¨ Both the washer and sink will EACH have a 1.5"vent running to a T in the celling with a 1.5" run to the main vent stack. For now I plan on putting an AAV off the T in the celling.

I will try to post a picture of what is happening in the basement. But basically I will have a utility sink and a 1.5" stand pipe (similar to a washer but smaller) for the condensate drain and water softener drain. All draining into a 2" line that Ys with the drain from the laundry upstairs. Total length for this section of 2"in the basement will be under 2 ft.

Tjbaudio

Reaction score
pictures

OK here are the pictures. I am working on dry fitting every thing right now.

The first one is in the laundry room. I am raising the floor under the washer and dryer to acomidate the pipes and make the waser at a better hight. Also in this room will be a small vanity. I plan on 1.5" to this and for its vent. The vents will join in the celing and for now shair an AAV till spring when I can do the main stack and remove all the cast iron in the basement.

The second picture is what will be under the floor. 2" drain lines except for the 1.5" from the vanity.

The next one is an over view of the basement where this comes out. The black line is the direction I will go with the pipe.

The last one is the parts laid out in the order I think they will go. When I replace the cast with PVC I will run the laundry right into it at the celing. The sink and small stand pipe will go directly to the main stack similar to how they are now, minus the the Y.

My main concern is the venting in the basement. I am thinking that with the 2" line upstairs vented right and the main stack right there I should be OK. The whole thing in the basement will be labout 36" to the furnace stand pipe. Does this sound right?

Also how high up should I put the saniT for the upstairs vanity? We will be using a standard bathroom sink or a small kitchen/bar sink in there.

Thank-you
Tom B
PS yes I am dyslexic! :D

Attachments

• washer.jpg
    washer.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 692
  • floor.jpg
    floor.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 686
  • basemebt.jpg
    basemebt.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 652
  • parts.jpg
    parts.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 629
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks