New faucet, needs 3/8" compression fittings?

Users who are viewing this thread

plumb krazy

Reaction score
Hello,
I am in the middle of a DIY remodel. We are in rural Utah and DIY is about all we have access to.

I have removed an old sink and faucet and have acquired a new sink and faucet, which I want to install.

There are 1/2" PEX lines coming through the floor into the sink cabinet. The lines have ball valves and 1/2" male NPT fittings on them. A familiar 1/2" to 1/2" flex hose connected the supply to the old faucet's copper stubs.

The new faucet includes built in flex lines with 3/8" compression fittings.

I should explain that I made a temporary sink stand to hold the old sink while we worked over the past few months, so the pex lines and fittings were recently replaced when setting up the capability to quickly and temporarily remove or replace the sink. When I did that I mimicked the original install.

The only 1/2" pex to 3/8" compression fitting adapters I can find at stores in my vicinity include a valve. I don't particularly need another valve and the inline ball valves that are in place seem more robust.

At first I imagined it would be easy to find a 1/2" female NPT to 3/8" compression fitting to adapt the existing line to the new style fixture, but I can not find anything in stock locally.

I did find one source, on eBay for a 1 PIECE 1/2" PEX X 3/8" OD COMP. STRAIGHT ADAPTER that seems ideal for my application. I have looked for something like this locally as well as at online plumbing supplies and have not had any luck.

Here is an illustration:

harmoniccycle-Faucet-plumb.jpg

I am writing to ask if there is any reason not to use a simple 1/2" pex to 3/8" compression fitting such as I found on eBay?

What would you do?

This seems like it would be a fairly common old plumbing/new fixture issue, so I am surprised it has been difficult to find simple adpaters.

Thank you.

Reach4

Reaction score
I am writing to ask if there is any reason not to use a simple 1/2" pex to 3/8" compression fitting such as I found on eBay?
Consider the availability of 1/2 inch pex to 3/8 compression 1/4 turn stop valves. They can be inline or right angle. Right angle with the pex clamped to the back wall might be good. Dahl 611-PX3-31
611-PX3-31.jpg
or Brasscraft G2BRPX19X would be examples.

g2brpx14x-c-3.jpg

Dahl 511-PX3-31 or Brasscraft G2BRPX14 would fit your inline idea. Try to support the pex to the back of the cabinet I think. https://www.brasscraft.com/product/12-in-nom-crimp-barb-x-38-in-o-d-comp/

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
The Sharkbite 23037-0000LF (straight) or 23036-0000LF (right angle) are other options.

plumb krazy

Reaction score
Thank you.

I guess the conclusion is that I should remove the existing inline ball valves and use the type of fitting you have mentioned.

I like the idea of clamping the PEX to the back of the cabinet.

Thank you.

Reach4

Reaction score
Thank you.

I guess the conclusion is that I should remove the existing inline ball valves and use the type of fitting you have mentioned.

I like the idea of clamping the PEX to the back of the cabinet.

Thank you.
Yes, you can do this alternatively if your existing valves are in good shape. Discard the ferrule and nut.
s-l1600.jpg

plumb krazy

Reaction score
Yes, that is the fitting I saw on eBay and referred to above. It seemed ideal for the circumstance.

I also found a adapter fitting similar to what Terry illustrated. It was a 1/2" female MIP to 3/8" compression fitting that would screw right on to my existing lines. It was the solution I had originally imagined as being the easiest to implement.

I like the idea of using minimum connections so I think I will go with your original suggestion and replace/lengthen the PEX line and use the combination of valve with compression fitting to minimize the connections in my system.

I was being stubborn, thinking the big hefty ball valve was somehow superior to the smaller quarter turn valves, but now have adapted to the idea.

Thank you to both of you!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks