New faucet leak, tub tile panel Q

Users who are viewing this thread

KJones

Reaction score
Hi all,

Am halfway through a bathroom remodel, and just noticed that the new tub faucet is dripping. It's a single-handle Price-Pfister and will be returned, but it brought up some concerns.

I currently have an access panel in the room behind the bath that allows me to get to a couple of valves that I installed, but there is no way to get to the faucet through it. Luckily for now I can get to the faucet through the front, but that won't be the case once I put in the backerboard and tile!

Looking around various web threads, I see a lot of posts about maintaining faucets for leaks, getting cartridges, etc. So I am concerned that down the road I will have to choose between living with a drip or tearing out tile to fix/replace a faucet. Can this cartridge be replaced from the front without removing the faucet?

OR, I could tear out the faucet setup now and redo the mounting boards so that I could get to the faucet from the rear.

What is normally done for a tub setup, anyway? And what should I do here?

KJ

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
As far as I know all shower valve cartridge replacements are done from the front of the valve and can be done on an installed completed shower by the removal of the handle and cover plate. Valve replacement is more difficult from the back but is better than ruining the shower walls.

I would pull the current valve apart and see if there isn't a small peice of soder Ect. causing the leak.

Last edited:

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
price fister is junk

check out the valve and see if something is in it...

odds are that their is not ....

that brand is just junk and i would not recommend
it to my worst enemy

Take it back and get a 1700 DELTA
while you still got the opportunity
and you will live
haiiply ever after.

Last edited:

KJones

Reaction score
Cass- Good to know I can replace cartridge from the front! Have figured out that I could cut the mount board from the rear and then put it back with a couple plates, if it comes to that.

Mark- Almost got a Delta, but I'm a newbie and all it's mounts were different from the old faucet setup (which I ended up largely redoing anyway). Have seen just about all brands dissed on this and other boards, but sadly haven't seen anything close to a consensus. I will take another look around when I take back this one, but don't really want to change the plumbing again (convince me!).

Thanks for the quick replies!

KJ

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The 2 most common I would guess would be Moen and Delta.

Personaly I recomend Moen. It has 1 part to replace. Delta has springs, washers, a ball, rubber seal cap, Ect.

I like them both because parts are avaliable everywhere.

Other companys parts can be harder to get.

Last edited:

KJones

Reaction score
OK, pulled the valve apart. Didn't find a "cartridge" though, it has a metal ball that seals against various washers and springs (like the Delta, eh?). Didn't find any visible debris, but ran it with the ball out just for luck.

Still drips, about twice a minute, eventually stopping...

KJ

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Try replacing the 2 washers. If that doesn't work replace the ball. If that doesn't work install a Delta or Moen. Like Mark said that brand is junk.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
There is an adjustment collar to adjust the pressure against the springs; and often I just stretch the spring a tiny bit.

Mike Swearingen

Reaction score
Website
www.albemarle-realty.com
On a Delta, the ball adjustment is with two slots in a plastic ring under the dome cap under the handle. You don't even have to turn off the water, just remove the handle, and you'll see the plastic ring around the top of the dome cap opening.
In fact, it's best to have the water on so that you only have to adjust it tight enough to stop it from leaking. You don't want to get it too tight anyway because it will cause the rubber seats on the springs to wear faster.
Delta has a little tool that comes with its repair kits with an Allen wrench on one end to remove the handle, and two metal prongs that fit the adjusting ring on the other.
If you don't have one of those, simply use the ends of pair of needle-nose pliers in the two slots and turn it clockwise to adjust it tighter.
Maybe your faucet has an adjustment ring similar to that, and you won't have to replace it yet.
Good Luck!
Mike

KJones

Reaction score
Price Pfister is sending out a kit. I think it includes the ball, washers, and springs.

Will live with what I got and finish the tiling, hopefully by Christmas...

KJ

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks