New faucet installation and now second and third floor hot water doesn't work

Users who are viewing this thread

Dudeman893

Reaction score
Hi,

New user here I just had a question. I installed a new faucet over the weekend and couldn't say that it was any easier, but with some complications. First when I installed it, turned the water on and then tried to turn the faucet on, nothing came out. It sounded like water gushed into the faucet but nothing. After this the second and third hot water supplies do not work, but the other ones do. I let the sink sit for a little bit with the hot water off and even took the line off. With the hot water valve closed water was still coming out???? I am confused on that one, and maybe it has something to do with it, when I took off the previous line it was fine no water or anything. The cold supplies work fine on all the floors. I would really not like to have to call in a plumber, but could it be a air pocket somewhere? Or since the hot water valve is off that hot water is still coming out the problem? I tried turning off the hot water and checked the other floors and still didn't help. Please help

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Unscrew the aerator of the end of the spout, clean it , and flush the faucet out...

Dudeman893

Reaction score
The aerator? Thats the screw where the water finally comes out I think. But cold water comes out fine? Do I still need to do that?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If the cold water comes out fine then what happened most likely was the washer in the stop was deteriorated to the point that it broke and traveled up into the faucet and is stuck in it some where...

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You should turn the water off to the whole house to work on it or you may be in for a surprise thinking the stop is off when it may not be and disconnect the supply line.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
water

Your description is somewhat confusing, but you may have a broken or turned off valve at the water heater, along with a defective Moen, Mixet, or similar valve letting some cold water into the hot side to give the impression of some hot water.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
On shower valves, if you don't turn the hot and cold supplies on at the same time, it is possible that the pressure balance spool valve got jammed to one side (i.e., shutting off the hot). You might need to remove it or give it a tap to free it up.

Dudeman893

Reaction score
Hi,

May I ask where the pressure balance spool valve is located? I am not the best at plumbing but would like to give it a shot before calling a plumber.

Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Are the ones that don't work shower valves? If yes, then they likely have a spool valve. The location depends on the brand and model. Faucets like those used for a sink, do not contain one. A pressure balanced shower valve uses a sliding piston (spool valve) to adjust the flow if pressure drops on one side to provide anti-scald safety features, mandated by the government. If you say only turn on the cold supply, it will jam the valve sometimes. If both are turned on and have the same pressure, the valve essentially centers itself normally.

Exactly what type of valves are we talking about? Try posting pictures.

One other thing that could give you grief, is if you happened to use flexible supply lines with the flood-safe feature. Sometimes those can 'trip' and block flow.

Dudeman893

Reaction score
Yeah it is both shower and sink valves. I should have mentioned the house was built in the 1920's and the valves looked like they were either replaced between 1950 and 1980's... I have rotorooter coming tonight for a free estimate, as this cannot go anymore and I need hot water.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
They will be among the most expensive plumbers you can call...I would eat dirt before I would call them...Their new plumbers are tossed out to work after a 6 week crash course...they know nothing...a bad move in my NSHO...personaly I would cancel the call and try and get someone else....call friends and see if any know a good plumber.

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
You've got rust plugging the internal parts of the faucet. It's not uncommon at all, and I clear it out as part of the job when installing a new faucet. If you don't know the internal workings of faucets and the pitfalls, a plumber is your best bet.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Rr

What does RotoROOTER have to do with a faucet. Many of their
"technicians" are sewer cleaners who were converted to "30 day wonder" repair people. Their prime concern at your house is to get as much money as possible, because that is how they are paid. So you could wind up having a lot of unnecessary repairs done. Call a real plumber.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks