New en-suite bathroom plumbing / am I crazy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Flat

Reaction score
Hi. This forum is great, I have been reading absolutely everything I can and I think I have done this all correctly, but I'm not confident and would appreciate any input. I am adding a second bathroom to the second story of my 70's build house and attempting to tie into the existing stack.

Existing in black, new drain in blue, new vent in green. Tie-in at the existing stack is a 3x3x3x1-1/2" (the 3" and 1-1/2" are offset 90 degrees) hub, the horizontal branch will be a new wye, with the branch on the wye-side (existing WC on the "straight-through" side).

flat-plumbing-plan-01.jpg

THANKS!

Reach4

Reaction score
1. You need to vent each lav. That would usually be through a sanitary tee (santee).
2. With the right routing, that may be the only venting needed for each bathroom. For example, if you add the left lavatory waste to the left toilet waste with a wye before joining other stuff, that should take care of venting that bathroom. Similarly, if you vent the two right lavs and route their drainage to the shower trap arm with a wye, that may take care of venting the tub and shower. Whether that vents the right-hand toilet also would depend on distances maybe. IPC would not care about that, but UPC would. I don't know what your code would call for.
3. The Lincoln County writeup is good, but it may be more stringent than your Canadian code needs.
4. Your diagram shows like a side view in places and a top view in others. Most of that we can guess.
5. The 3-inch pipe on the left. What is the flow direction? Make all joinings with wyes or combos.

Flat

Reaction score
1. You need to vent each lav. That would usually be through a sanitary tee (santee).
2. With the right routing, that may be the only venting needed for each bathroom. For example, if you add the left lavatory waste to the left toilet waste with a wye before joining other stuff, that should take care of venting that bathroom. Similarly, if you vent the two right lavs and route their drainage to the shower trap arm with a wye, that may take care of venting the tub and shower. Whether that vents the right-hand toilet also would depend on distances maybe. IPC would not care about that, but UPC would. I don't know what your code would call for.
3. The Lincoln County writeup is good, but it may be more stringent than your Canadian code needs.
4. Your diagram shows like a side view in places and a top view in others. Most of that we can guess.
5. The 3-inch pipe on the left. What is the flow direction? Make all joinings with wyes or combos.

I'm not shocked that what's in my head didn't quite visually translate. Updated:

flat-plumbing-plan-02.jpg

1. Sorry, I was in a rush and that bit hasn't been keeping me up at night so I failed to draw it correctly.
2. Hopefully the flow arrows make this less confusing. I believe toilet #1 is vented via wet-vent to the main stack. Toilet #2 is my concern.
3. Maybe. Looks similar to the CPC book I have.
4. Sorry about that, it made sense to me but I happen to be able to look at the space.
5. Down. Got it. Tee's for joining horizontal to vertical waste. Wyes flat for waste, standing for venting.

The shower/bath area doesn't quite make sense, but I'm not sure how else to draw it and I'm more confident in it. Shower is curbless, bathtub is drop in. It's the new 3" horizontal branch and new toilet that I wasn't sure about.

Thanks again.

Flat

Reaction score
Looks like Canadian plumbing code wants me to have a double wye for both toilets in order to wet vent them both. Since that would be physically impossible, I think toilet #2 is OK as is, but #1 will need something like this?

toilet-flat-vent-with-reducer.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks