New Disposal - 48 hours!

Users who are viewing this thread

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
The trouble is getting paid to install a device that is not required by the code. I have never seen one installed in around here.

Not required on the commercial side eidther.

Section 10 -10

(11) Dishwashing Machines.

(a) Waste Discharge.

1. Domestic. The waste discharge shall comply with 248 CMR 10.08(l)(a)(2)(d).

2. Commercial. Commercial dishwashing machines that discharge by gravity shall be
indirectly connected, except when the machine is located above or within five feet of a
trapped floor drain, the waste may be connected directly to the inlet side of a properly
vented floor drain trap.

3. Commercial. Dishwashing machines that"incorporate drainage discharge by pumping
shall discharge waste to the sanitary drainage system in accordance with the
manufacturer's recommendations.

(b) Portable Dishwashers. Portable dishwashing machines (domestic) may discharge over
the rim of a properly trapped and vented fixture.

For clarity, of course.

Getting paid to protect someone in a "safer" manner as what I put in bold, will never be considered inappropriate.

$100 please...

Ladiesman271

Homeowner
Reaction score
RUGGED, thanks for the reply, it does make me understand the air gap better in that I never thought of the fact that I would never know that water had been pushed to the dishwasher. I always thought it would be an obvious mess somewhere else first, then I would check the dishwasher.

Tom

You would still have to make it past the backflow device installed in the dishwasher pump outlet to get waste water into the dishwasher!

Ladiesman271

Homeowner
Reaction score
For clarity, of course.

Getting paid to protect someone in a "safer" manner as what I put in bold, will never be considered inappropriate.

$100 please...

Me no savy Kemo Sabi. You are now $200 higher than the cost of the appliance store dishwasher install. The mob also likes to get paid to provide "protection", so perhaps that is what you are talking about?

Pheonix AZ (UPC state) must hate their residents. I wonder why they deleted the UPC requirement for an air gap connection to the waste system in a residential application? Perhaps the dishwasher drain air gap "issue" is not a real world issue!

Pheonix UPC change link here

CITY OF PHOENIX ADOPTED
2006 UNIFORM PLUMBING CODE (UPC) AMENDMENTS

UPC Chapter 8 to be revised as follows:
Chapter 8
INDIRECT WASTES

Section 807.4 Replace Section 807.4. with amended language that eliminates the requirement
for a dishwasher airgap fitting as follows:

The discharge pipe of a domestic dishwashing machine may be directly connected to the
tailpiece of a sink drain, or into the waste ‘boss’ of a food waste disposer without installation of an
intervening air-gap fitting. The dishwasher discharge line shall be securely fastened as high as
possible, but in no case lower than two (2) inches [50.8 mm] below the flood rim of the sink to
which it is connected.

Last edited:

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
quote; To fix this you need to open the wall and lower the drainage tee, it sounds harder than it really is. I have done many of these

How many have you done where the tee is offset behind one of cabinets and the drain opening is at the end of a horizontal pipe? The comment about the water flush being manual or automatic, implies that the requirement applies to commercial disposers, not residential ones.

I ran into a few and ended up repiping them as well. The code addresses both commercial and residential disposals. The commercial disposal needs to have automatic continues water flow and a 2" trap. Where the residential disposal can have a manual flow of water and a 1 1/2" trap. I may not know what meets code in your area, but I do know the Illinois plumbing code.

As for using a end waste, as I said here in Illinois a disposal needs to have its own trap, and in Illinois you "are" allowed to have two traps on the same drain line sharing the same vent for this situation. As for me drawing a line or the trap arm being a 1/4 below the disposal's outlet, it does not mater, that is not the proper way to install a P-trap. If it where proper you would think they make a trap for kitchen sinks like that. Oh and as for me drawing a line on the picture, that was just an example showing the person with his question what I mean by drawing the line.

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Me no savy Kemo Sabi. You are now $200 higher than the cost of the appliance store dishwasher install!

Is the appliance store installer a licensed plumber? If he is not then in most states and especially in Illinois he is not allowed to touch the drainage piping and or the water piping. Sears home installers will deliver and set your appliance here but inform the home owner due to Illinois plumbing codes they can not hook it up, that the homeowner must call a licensed plumber.

Ladiesman271

Homeowner
Reaction score
Is the appliance store installer a licensed plumber? If he is not then in most states and especially in Illinois he is not allowed to touch the drainage piping and or the water piping. Sears home installers will deliver and set your appliance here but inform the home owner due to Illinois plumbing codes they can not hook it up, that the homeowner must call a licensed plumber.

How about a new refrigerator with an ice maker connection. In Illinois do you need a plumber to make that water connection also? If so, how does the installer remove the old refrigerator if the installer "is not allowed to touch the drainage piping and or the water piping"?

I installed my last replacement dishwasher in two hours or so. Work done right the first time. No time spent looking for someone to install it. No waiting for the installer to show up. No hanging around while paying someone to do work that is as easy as you can get. That type of work in not rocket science!

Now that I think about it, I also changed out the garbage disposal. At least I bought the right size unit so I did not have to fiddle with the drain line very much.

Last edited:

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
DW's suck. Wish there was a way to not have to mess with them. More often than not they are halfway across the room from the sink around a lazy susan hard wired and plumbed with flared connections and last but not least the existing flooring has been built up around them making removal a chore best left for a pack mule.

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
How about a new refrigerator with an ice maker connection. In Illinois do you need a plumber to make that water connection also? If so, how does the installer remove the old refrigerator if the installer "is not allowed to touch the drainage piping and or the water piping"?

I installed my last replacement dishwasher in two hours or so. Work done right the first time. No time spent looking for someone to install it. No waiting for the installer to show up. No hanging around while paying someone to do work that is as easy as you can get. That type of work in not rocket science!

Now that I think about it, I also changed out the garbage disposal. At least I bought the right size unit so I did not have to fiddle with the drain line very much.

Yes they must call a plumber prior to the delivery of the new fridge, or schedule both to be there at the same time. Half the time there is an illegal saddle valve suppling the water to the fridge that will not turn off due to the needle rotting off. Here is a little something I posted on another thread. I feel it applies here as well.

I was digging through a bunch of old books I have, came across a plumbing code book from 1917 for the state of Ohio. I just wanted to share the first few paragraphs with you all.

Plumbing
Definition
Plumbing is the art of installing in buildings the pipes, fixtures and other apparatus for introducing the water supply and removing liquid and water-carried wastes. It must be installed in accordance with scientific principles and natural laws.​

Relation to Health
The value of plumbing to public health is important because it removes human wastes from the immediate neighborhood of buildings. Plumbing also furnishes the opportunity for liberal consumption and use of pure wholesome water for drinking, bathing, culinary and other domestic purposes.​

Inferior Stops, Valves and Fixtures
A cheap grade of stop and waste cocks, valves and fixtures often used in the installation is a false economy and expensive practice. inconvenience, annoyance, waste of water and continual repairs are the resulting penalties from this practice.​

Low First Cost Mistaken Economy
A second class plumbing and drainage system in cost will prove itself a second class system. A year or so in service will reveal the inefficiency of the fixture, device or construction. Discomfort, inconvenience, cost of repairs, foul odors, insanitary and unhealthful conditions are the resulting penalties which the unfortunate occupant must pay.​

Ladiesman271

Homeowner
Reaction score
Yes they must call a plumber prior to the delivery of the new fridge, or schedule both to be there at the same time. Half the time there is an illegal saddle valve suppling the water to the fridge that will not turn off due to the needle rotting off. Here is a little something I posted on another thread. I feel it applies here as well.

It is way easier for the homeowner to simply shut off the existing water feed to the refrigerator, and then hook up the standard water fitting to the new refrigerator. If there is a problem with the shutoff valve, they can repair it themselves or they can call a plumber.

Funny how shutoff valves have a tendancy to not shut off when you need them. Don't use a valve for for 20 to 40 years, and you will likely have a problem with the valve when you need to use it.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks