Users who are viewing this thread

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Have to respond to RUGGED :)

48 hours was when I was done after starting but it was not a continous 48 hours on the project. Most of the time was spent heading to Home Depot looking at the different fittings and working out the puzzle. I did burn some gas on at least 6 trips. I was also messing with the faucet which did not work out the best(I had another thread on that one). The final outcome was that the plumbing is exactly the same as it was except for that P trap extenson which I did not really like and that is why I posted here.

If you had fun, that's all that matters.

I never knew that the wye was not a good thing as this was how the house was plumbed originally. So, my mission was to keep the basic setup the same. It has been 24 years with the old sink and disposal. I also feel the original plumber was right in not running the dishwasher drain to the disposal as it shortens the life of the disposal.

If you have an inexpensive disposal, yes. The reason it's necessary to connect to those disposals is to keep the chamber clean, free flowing and people do not make a habit of running water when grinding vegetables for minutes after grinding.

Any stainless steel chambered disposal wrecks your thinking that it's harmful for the unit.

The air gap. I had a sewer blockage last year in which when it backed up high enough in the house it came out the first floor tub and toilet. So, in looking at the whole picture of my first floor, the next higher drain is the wash tub in the laundry room, followed by the bathroom sink, followed by the kitchen sink and the highest would be the washer drain. So, the chances seem very slim that this would backup to the kitchen sink before we would discover it. Then tonight I took a look at my dishwasher manual and install instructions. It gives 4 options for the drain, 2 with air gap to sink or disposal and 2 without air gap to sink and disposal. On the no air gap option it says that the drain must be connected at least 20 inches higher than the floor the dishwasher sits on. It mentions no high loop. I am not sure what it means other than there might be a back valve somewhere in the dishwasher.
The next question is what really is the problem with waste water backing up into the dishwasher? To me it is no different than what happened when it came out the tub and toilet. It was a mess to clean up. I assume you could run the dishwasher a few times and sanitize the system. I do see that the air gap which is higher than the sink itself will always protect the dishwasher, but again why does it have to be protected when waste water is flowing over the kitchen sink at this point to the kitchen floor. To me having to cut a hole in the sink or counter for this air gap seems like over kill just to protect the dishwasher.

Do you wash your dishes out of your toilet?

Of course not. That dishwasher is designed to produce sterile utensils that allow you to eat off of them when it is finished.

That plumbing system can clog anywhere in line and clog, back up into that kitchen sink. Go to plumbing forums across the internet and type in word jumbles of "water backing into dishwasher" and you'll find that same hack way of connecting to the waste system.

I'm allowed to use the words "hack" because I'm specifically trained as a licensed Master Plumber and certified Backflow License holder to back up what I say. That drain off the dishwasher is a direct connection to the most vile stuff you never want to see again, and the first time it backs up in that sink, the path of least resistance and fluid dynamics PROVES it is heading to the dishwasher.

People have gotten sick from backups into dishwashers. That stuff was never supposed to be there to begin with. It's a contaminate.

That "backwater valve" is not foolproof, it is a device that a shrimp tail can easily malfunction the device and deem it defective quite quickly.

When you think about ease of installation, I'm thinking about how to protect the public with my licenses and ability to provide plumbing in a safe and sanitary way.

You deem the Air Gap useless, I deem it necessary as it protects you every damn time you step outside your home to go with your loved ones out to eat.

I'm "trying" to convey that message to you down to your private
domain, your kingdom, your castle. "You" might know to check the
bottom of that dishwasher every single time to make sure it chucked the full cycle out of wastewater, or didn't roll back into the unit, but your wife or your kids may not, and who would expect this?

I swear if I had a dollar for every damn time I saw what the husband does to the wife by their misdeeds, it would call for divorce with the dangers they indirectly expose to their loved ones just by not understanding the logic to why things are done for a reason.

My last comment is that maybe I am a closet plumber as I really like to read these forums regularly. Terry Love is a plumber by trade and sponsors this site and it would seem that DIY people make the most use of these forums. So, someday you real plumbers might have to fix our DIY pig slop, but for me I had a blast doing the work and hopefully these forums minimized the slop.

Nothing wrong with your drive to DIY, but it is at least my duty to educate those who don't know the codes, don't know the hazards of situations they get themselves into.

Some codes I've mentioned may not even be required in your state, but my logic is spot on to your situation whether it is inscribed in a book or not. That is where my knowledge has its true value, and people that visit this thread whether they're members or passer-bys, understand that there's a very valid reason for my statements:

Protecting the Health of the Nation.

Tom

Air Gaps are one of the most important devices in the Plumbing industry today, has no moving parts and offers the best protection in the event of backflow/backsiphonage.

It uses the physical separation of the free atmosphere to protect from reversal. Nothing offers anything that can compete with this.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
I have seen much, much worse....

all you got to do is get a continous waste baffle tee assembly that ties in the drain and the garbage disposal
into one drain and capp of f theother side of that black wye.. ...

eliminate that dishwasher wye you have on the left side and install the dishwasher into the stub out on the garbage disposal... knock ou tthe plug first...

the "air gap" to go up above to the top of the sink is not necessary in my area and all you would have to do is
attempt to hang the hose as high as possible under the sink... we do it that way all the time... and i dont feel it is a big
deal at all

just spin the disposal around and turn that black elbow
to horizontal and line it up with the tee.,

if the situation is too tight, then you got to improvise

have I confused you enough??

9962093.jpg
2595650.jpg

if you have the height, one of these little jeweles would have been a better way
to have done that with the dishwasher going into the disposal outlet...

Last edited:

Ladiesman271

Homeowner
Reaction score
Air Gaps are one of the most important devices in the Plumbing industry today, has no moving parts and offers the best protection in the event of backflow/backsiphonage.

It uses the physical separation of the free atmosphere to protect from reversal. Nothing offers anything that can compete with this.

A high loop prevents backsiphonage, and a dishwasher has a backflow prevention device before the drain line. Regardless, where does all this backflow end up with an air gap? That air gap off the dishwasher is a direct connection to the most vile stuff you never want to see again, and the first time it backs up in that sink, the path of least resistance and fluid dynamics PROVES it is heading to the kitchen counter and kitchen floor (severe slip and fall injuries).

Do you know how many people prepare food on kitchen counters? Do you prepare your food in your toilet? People have gotten sick from contamination of kitchen countertops. That stuff was never supposed to be there to begin with. It's a contaminate. Use an air gap, and your loved ones will surely suffer from contaminated food. After all, millions of people get sick every day from contaminated food. This adds to the supply of contaminated water throughout the world. Get sick and flush a toilet, then someone somewhere has contaminated food due to the use of air gaps.

If an air gap is required by code, use one. Otherwise, just use a high loop as recommended by the manufacturer of the dishwasher. It is just not a significant health issue one way or the other.

Last edited:

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
A high loop prevents backsiphonage, and a dishwasher has a backflow prevention device before the drain line. Regardless, where does all this backflow end up with an air gap? That air gap off the dishwasher is a direct connection to the most vile stuff you never want to see again, and the first time it backs up in that sink, the path of least resistance and fluid dynamics PROVES it is heading to the kitchen counter and kitchen floor (severe slip and fall injuries).

Do you know how many people prepare food on kitchen counters? Do you prepare your food in your toilet? People have gotten sick from contamination of kitchen countertops. That stuff was never supposed to be there to begin with. It's a contaminate. Use an air gap, and your loved ones will surely suffer from contaminated food. After all, millions of people get sick every day from contaminated food. This adds to the supply of contaminated water throughout the world. Get sick and flush a toilet, then someone somewhere has contaminated food due to the use of air gaps.

If an air gap is required by code, use one. Otherwise, just use a high loop as recommended by the manufacturer of the dishwasher. It is just not a significant health issue one way or the other.

You can challenge it all, but you're not right, and I can tell you don't have the background knowledge to challenge this.

A high loop does NOT prevent backsiphonage, it is a direct connection to the drainage system. A plunger to a clogged sink proves that.

That backflow prevention device consists of a spring and a moving check, that if anything other than wastewater passes through it, it's going to fail.
The spring is going to fail over time as well. The Air Gap never fails, ever. It has no moving parts. It uses the free atmosphere to serve the basic purpose to protect.

Regardless, where does all this backflow end up with an air gap? That air gap off the dishwasher is a direct connection to the most vile stuff you never want to see again, and the first time it backs up in that sink, the path of least resistance and fluid dynamics PROVES it is heading to the kitchen counter and kitchen floor (severe slip and fall injuries).

Are you trying to be retarded or funny, or both. You have a sink full of wastewater, draino most times thanks to everyone avoiding the plumber, and they start plunging that sink to break it free. The plunger is always sitting there as proof. When they plunge that sink and the dishwasher is hooked to the Air Gap, the first thing it's going to do is shoot up to the Air Gap, spit out and stop the idiot plunging for fear of making a bigger mess.

In the meantime, those contaminates do not make it back to the device that is designed to produce sterile utensils. Remember, YOU think you're figuring this out, I don't care what half ass means you think of saving $10 on an Air Gap, I care about the rest of the unknowing public from thinkers like you.

Is this retarded plumbing 101? Is this how you fix plumbing in your home, "high looping"?

If you thought about it, you'd understand that the local authority has the final rule over any manufacture's recommendation. But your not a plumber.

If you are, post your state and your license number, maybe you got an excuse to be so uninformed, unintelligent. I have to protect people like you from yourself so you don't end up harming others in the windfall of your empty headed statements.

I'm driving home codes, principles, theory, you're bringing backwards logic. If you're so smart, recite plumbing principle #15 and tell me how a direct connection from the dishwasher, is not a direct connection to the waste system.

NEXT! :D

With the sink already in a clogged state, where's your logic with the above statement. You have none. You're not a licensed plumber otherwise you wouldn't type out such a uneducated response. Air Gaps are used Commercially in every state. Residential has a lowered asessed risk given the reduced number of people it affects.

You certainly don't understand a lot about plumbing just by the way you type.

awesome.jpg

Last edited:

Ladiesman271

Homeowner
Reaction score
Here is the typical definition of Back-siphonage. The MA code also defines back-siphonage this way.

Back-siphonage

Back-siphonage is backflow caused by a negative pressure (vacuum) in a potable water system. The effect is like drinking water through a straw.

Back-siphonage can occur when there is a broken water main, when there is a fire nearby where a Fire Department is using large quantities of water, or even when a fire hydrant is opened for testing. Any buildings near such a break or unusual fire hydrant usage will experience lower water pressure. This is when back-siphonage can occur.

Back-siphonage is taken care of in a dishwasher by the high loop and air gap built into the dishwashers water connection to the potable water supply. The waste system is not a potable water system.

As far as the state and local Code is concerned, I follow it. I am not required to use an air gap in a drain line of a dishwasher in a residential application. Not required in a pumping type commercial application either.

http://www.archive.org/details/gov.ma.plumbing

Section 10 -10

(11) Dishwashing Machines.

(a) Waste Discharge.

1. Domestic. The waste discharge shall comply with 248 CMR 10.08(l)(a)(2)(d).

2. Commercial. Commercial dishwashing machines that discharge by gravity shall be
indirectly connected, except when the machine is located above or within five feet of a
trapped floor drain, the waste may be connected directly to the inlet side of a properly
vented floor drain trap.

3. Commercial. Dishwashing machines that"incorporate drainage discharge by pumping
shall discharge waste to the sanitary drainage system in accordance with the
manufacturer's recommendations.

(b) Portable Dishwashers. Portable dishwashing machines (domestic) may discharge over
the rim of a properly trapped and vented fixture.

Last edited:

WV Hillbilly

Reaction score
I asked this question on an earlier thread & it didn't get answered because the thread was locked & this thread may be headed in the same direction . However I would just like to know . I understand why an airgap would prevent backsiphoning . What is inside an airgap that prevents water from going backwards through the line if the sink is clogged & full of water ? It has been stated that an airgap has no moving parts so if water can go from the dishwasher to the sink drain what keeps the water from going from the sink back to the dw ? I would just like to know .

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Here is the definition of Back-siphonage.

Back-siphonage

Back-siphonage is backflow caused by a negative pressure (vacuum) in a potable water system. The effect is like drinking water through a straw.

Back-siphonage can occur when there is a broken water main, when there is a fire nearby where a Fire Department is using large quantities of water, or even when a fire hydrant is opened for testing. Any buildings near such a break or unusual fire hydrant usage will experience lower water pressure. This is when back-siphonage can occur.

Back-siphonage is taken care of in a dishwasher by a built in high loop and air gap for the water connection to the potable water supply. The waste system is not a potable water system.

Wow, I've got you gooooogling for answers now.

Backsiphonage, you're talking potable water,

I'M TALKING DRAINAGE >>>>>>> DISHWASHER>>>>DRAINS

Let me give you another example,

When someone drains a pool, and they take that garden hose and fill it partially with water and then quickly send that hose instantly to a lower level,

what happens?

Water from one elevation will actually climb upwards, then downwards from the lower level of water and suck the water out of the pool.

Now, when you high loop a dishwasher, and there's contents in the sink, the probability of the reversal of flow, backsiphonage, not potable water systems, will occur.

If I have to prove to just one person in particular to prove to the masses that this happens over and over and over again, and for someone to think that this connection is "no big deal"...

I'll keep providing 100's of examples, hundreds of links where this reversal of flow occurs and if someone has a full dishwasher of what they think is "sterile",

not realizing that there's 2" of wastewater sitting inside this dark hot wet dishwasher now producing germ-ladened bacteria. The DIY'rs on here think that everyone thinks like them, and it's not true.

Lot's of both genders don't understand plumbing, and to think they do isn't plausible. Some do, and it's great. But those who challenge logic over understanding their very own statements is something I have all the time in the world to discuss.

This is why I have a job, because of people like you. You "think" you know something and the rest of the profession knows it from code statute, code principle.

Start looking for plumbing principle #15 while you're goooooooooooooogling you're way to another response.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
I asked this question on an earlier thread & it didn't get answered because the thread was locked & this thread may be headed in the same direction . However I would just like to know . I understand why an airgap would prevent backsiphoning . What is inside an airgap that prevents water from going backwards through the line if the sink is clogged & full of water ? It has been stated that an airgap has no moving parts so if water can go from the dishwasher to the sink drain what keeps the water from going from the sink back to the dw ? I would just like to know .

The free atmosphere. Open slots that allows that device above the flood level rim it serves to keep to paths of wastewater from connecting to each other.

It stops the flow right now and the only way those two can connect is only if the Air Gap is submerged, which would be practically impossible as the entire room would have to be flooded above that sink, plus 2-3/8" which is the normal height of an Air Gap.

On that same device, there's a inscription on the side of it, called CL. "Critical Level" which marks "at a point where the device becomes submerged" and no longer provides a function of safety.

You'll find "CL" "Critical Level" marked on many devices used in plumbing to make the user aware of how that device operates, whether they are familiar with the reasoning or not.

Next time you go to the big box store/hardware store or plumbing supply house, go and take one out and take it apart.

The dishwasher drainage is shot up through the center of the device with the wastewater hitting the underside of a umbrella type cap, then gravity and the free atmosphere allows that wastewater to cascade and drop into a larger pipe inside the Air Gap and continue to the drainage system, safely without ever posing the risk of those contaminates making it back to the dishwasher.

Sometimes people leave dishes in their dishwasher for days, hand picking dishes as they need them, all due to laziness. How many chances are there for that sink to clog during those episodes?

Some people don't even know they have a clog, until they open their dishwasher at times because the unknowledgeable hands under the sink didn't even know to high loop the drain, and bingo, right into the dishwasher.

"Oh, that can't happen."

No, it does and it happens quite often.

I don't care if it isn't code in your state my state my dead grandmas state, the device protects the safety of you and yours whether anyone is going to admit it in this thread or any other one on the world wide web.

The majority
of people don't think about plumbing in the way we do; they just use it and wonder why it does bad things when it does. A responsibility bestowed to

any DIY'r who takes that risk to save $10?

Please, the logic behind the thinking simply isn't there, knowing the safety of what that item on a sink deck provides.

Principle No. 15—PREVENT CONTAMINATION
Proper protection shall be provided to prevent contamination of food, water, sterile goods, and similar materials by
backflow of sewage. When necessary, the fixture, device, or appliance shall be connected indirectly with the
building drainage system.

Last edited:

Ladiesman271

Homeowner
Reaction score
Wow, I've got you gooooogling for answers now.

Backsiphonage, you're talking potable water,

I'M TALKING DRAINAGE >>>>>>> DISHWASHER>>>>DRAINS

Your definition of back-siphonage is not permitted in the MA plumbing code.

WV Hillbilly

Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation . Maybe I will take one apart just to see what it looks like on the inside . I am not here to argue with anyone , I just like to know how things work .

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Your definition of back-siphonage is not permitted in the MA plumbing code.

Neither was the completion,costs and unexplained failure of "The big dig"

The garden hose over the top edge of a swimming pool proves my example time and time again with recorded forum threads about reversal of flow into dishwashers.

What's your point in relation to this subject matter, dealing with plumbing principles.....?

Your references to commercial plumbing just proves my point even better, and in the good ole' state of MA,

No one but licensed plumbers are to do plumbing work. I've heard this a million times and it is entirely true.

Keep digging you hole you're already in. I love putting my license to use educating you.

Ladiesman271

Homeowner
Reaction score
Are you trying to be retarded or funny, or both.

Just trying to use plumbers logic. That's the best I could do.

You have a sink full of wastewater, draino most times thanks to everyone avoiding the plumber, and they start plunging that sink to break it free. The plunger is always sitting there as proof. When they plunge that sink and the dishwasher is hooked to the Air Gap, the first thing it's going to do is shoot up to the Air Gap, spit out and stop the idiot plunging for fear of making a bigger mess.

In the meantime, those contaminates do not make it back to the device that is designed to produce sterile utensils. Remember, YOU think you're figuring this out, I don't care what half ass means you think of saving $10 on an Air Gap, I care about the rest of the unknowing public from thinkers like you.

Hey, an idiot has no fear of making a bigger mess. A little old duct tape will take care of that Air Gap leak.:D

I take it that you do not have a license to do plumbing in MA. Plumbers follow the MA Code around here. I have never seen an air gap used on a dishwasher around here.

Ladiesman271

Homeowner
Reaction score
No one but licensed plumbers are to do plumbing work. I've heard this a million times and it is entirely true.

Keep digging you hole you're already in. I love putting my license to use educating you.

You are not licensed to do plumbing in MA!:D

Last edited:

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Just trying to use plumbers logic. That's the best I could do.

Hey, an idiot has no fear of making a bigger mess. A little old duct tape will take care of that Air Gap leak.:D

I take it that you do not have a license to do plumbing in MA. Plumbers follow the MA Code around here. I have never seen an air gap used on a dishwasher around here.

Correct. I do not have a license to plumbing in MA. But, I could go, for everyone's benefit, test out for my master's in MA and become one using my years of experience as a plumber.

Then, I could go and install Air Gaps on every kitchen sink installation with a Dishwasher, have it inspected and it would pass, even though the inspectors would say, "Well, you didn't have to do it, it's not required." and I will bet my left kidney they won't make me take it out.

Why?

Because they enforce on the commercial side already, the device can provide just as much safety on the residential as well. No harm no foul as they say when protective measures are taken in the lines of safety.

If you are a licensed plumber, and you read plumbing principle #15 above, and you've had years of experience, seen the unthinkables and "no effing way that happened" instances when it comes to problems in plumbing that affected safety,

You'd be in total agreement with me on the protection the Air Gap provides in relation to whether or not it is not enforced in your state. I'm trying to get people, plumbers and abroad to think outside the codebooks because the codebooks only work off of minimum requirements.

A simple codebook cannot even begin to cover the realm of possibilities that are found in malfunctioning plumbing systems, that's why the profession has numerous divisions and fields that have to hold certain licensure, credentials.

I cannot put it any plainer than what I just wrote.

There's a family out west that lost their beloved mother because the plumber looked the other way and high looped a DW drain and when she came back from travelling, hand picked those dishes not realizing there was wastewater breeding bacteria in the bottom.

This, along with her compromised immune system eventually led to her death, the plumber was sued, lost his right to plumb for himself, the GC was sued heavily and a substantial judgement was placed on both insurance companies, including the state because inspections were done,
with them ignoring the fact that remodel permits always "require" plumbing permits when it involves a kitchen or bath when plumbing is reworked.

This was one of thousands of cross-connection stories told to us licensed backflow testers at the beginning of our meetings every year.

They purposely mention the good ones, making sure we understand that even the impossible scenario can happen.

I'm done with this one, any more and I need to get paid for it. :cool:

Ladiesman271

Homeowner
Reaction score
Correct. I do not have a license to plumbing in MA. But, I could go, for everyone's benefit, test out for my master's in MA and become one using my years of experience as a plumber.

Then, I could go and install Air Gaps on every kitchen sink installation with a Dishwasher, have it inspected and it would pass, even though the inspectors would say, "Well%2

Hey, this post makes no sense at all. Lost a connection somewhere when I hit save. My answer is gone.

Will repost!

Last edited:

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com

Then, I could go and install Air Gaps on every kitchen sink installation with a Dishwasher, have it inspected and it would pass, even though the inspectors would say, "Well%2

Who? What? HuH?

That'll be $85 please! :p

Themp

Reaction score
RUGGED, thanks for the reply, it does make me understand the air gap better in that I never thought of the fact that I would never know that water had been pushed to the dishwasher. I always thought it would be an obvious mess somewhere else first, then I would check the dishwasher.

Tom

Ladiesman271

Homeowner
Reaction score

Then, I could go and install Air Gaps on every kitchen sink installation with a Dishwasher, have it inspected and it would pass, even though the inspectors would say, "Well, you didn't have to do it, it's not required." and I will bet my left kidney they won't make me take it out.

Why?

Because they enforce on the commercial side already, the device can provide just as much safety on the residential as well. No harm no foul as they say when protective measures are taken in the lines of safety.

The trouble is getting paid to install a device that is not required by the code. I have never seen one installed in around here.

Not required on the commercial side eidther.

Section 10 -10

(11) Dishwashing Machines.

(a) Waste Discharge.

1. Domestic. The waste discharge shall comply with 248 CMR 10.08(l)(a)(2)(d).

2. Commercial. Commercial dishwashing machines that discharge by gravity shall be
indirectly connected, except when the machine is located above or within five feet of a
trapped floor drain, the waste may be connected directly to the inlet side of a properly
vented floor drain trap.

3. Commercial. Dishwashing machines that"incorporate drainage discharge by pumping
shall discharge waste to the sanitary drainage system in accordance with the
manufacturer's recommendations.

(b) Portable Dishwashers. Portable dishwashing machines (domestic) may discharge over
the rim of a properly trapped and vented fixture.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
RUGGED, thanks for the reply, it does make me understand the air gap better in that I never thought of the fact that I would never know that water had been pushed to the dishwasher. I always thought it would be an obvious mess somewhere else first, then I would check the dishwasher.

Tom

I apologize that it has been rather lengthy, but I've had to scour over numerous plumbing forums over the years answering questions about "why" this happens and how to prevent it.

Being a moderator of numerous plumbing forums has sharpened the pencil so to say and has helped me to be a better plumber as a result.

I don't do much "moderating" anymore as I've literally burned myself out *no compensation* with that title. I'm just here for the scooby snacks and complimentary pop tarts. :D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks