New Disconnect Box

Users who are viewing this thread

Phillbo

Reaction score
I got a quote to have my disconnect box replaced. The unit is 50amp rated but the description in the quote states "Replace disconnect box for packaged heatpump system (60A style with new fuses". Is the "60A Style" a type of box or is he planning to put in 60A fuses?

I have a call out to ask but figured why not throw it on here as well.. It might just be what the box ids called.

What negative impacts would be caused by using 60amp fuses in a 50amp rated unit?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The size of the disconnect is dictated by the manufacturer of the device you are trying to disconnect. If they specify 50A, and you install 60A, it shouldn't pass inspection. But, that is often a maximum that the thing can support. IF you can find the same series fuses rated for 50A, you could put them in there.

Jbfan74

Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Disconnects are rated 30 amp, 60 amps, 100 amps, and take fuses sized up to the disconnet rating.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks