New Delta Shower - Not hot water Lukewarm only

Users who are viewing this thread

Riles

Reaction score
First time posting here after spending hours reading and learning from all of you. Thanks!

Recently remodeled my shower with
Delta R10000-unbx valve & Delta T14294-CZ (single handle) trim kit. Since installation, flushing system and checking for leaks, I’ve closed it up & finished including shower glass. Dove into my first shower to find the water lukewarm at best. I removed the handle and adjusted the hot water guard to increase handle’s full range of motion. Still no change. In fact, now, when I move handle range of motion past the former full hot (actual lukewarm) handle position, the showe water is full cold.
After researching and reading, I called Delta to troubleshoot with them. I most recently replaced the cartidge, still no hot water.

I have two sinks & a tub in the same bathroom that all have very hot water.

I ran CPVC between copper supply lines & the valve threads, joined by shark bite couplings and elbows.

The delta rep was quick to tell me that I couldn’t use Pex due to the inside diameter limiting the flow. After reading through the installation instructions again, I confirmed that CPVC was accepted.

All the plumbing is in an interior wall that backs up to a closet.

Any ideas are welcome and I appreciate all your help in advance.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You may have reversed the hot to the valve. You may have to flip (reverse) the cartridge to correct that.

delta-cartridge-install.jpg

Normal installation will have hot on the left side. On a reversed water line installation, hot will need to be on the right. Are you sure you have the cartridge in correctly?

PEX to the valve and shower head is fine, but not for a tub spout.

Insert the cartridge with the “hot side” on the right.

delta-back-to-back.jpg

Last edited:

Riles

Reaction score
After reading my post and
You may have reversed the hot to the valve. You may have to flip (reverse) the cartridge to correct that.
PEX to the valve and shower head is fine, but not for a tub spout.

Thank you for your reply. Part of my DIY process is assuming I’ve done something wrong! After reading my post, I realized that when I turn on full hot & it goes full cold, I should check to see if full cold goes hot. It does. I have hot after all.
Since the cartridge was in correctly, it turns out the supply lines coming out of the slab are reversed. Never noticed the reversal with our 25 yr old shower because it was pull knob to operate, so the mix was at a constant setting.

Question is now: Do I need to reverse the supply lines to the valve in the wall? Or, can I simply reverse the cartridge without risking damage to the valve and it’s components with hot water running through the cold side?

Thanks again for your help!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Turn the cartridge around as shown and Terry discussed above. Many, but not all, shower valves allow you to rotate the cartridge to account for the lines being reversed. This is most common when there are back-t0-back bathrooms that use a common supply...On one of them, you need to rotate the cartridge, or require a convoluted piping arrangement to get both with the hot/cold on the 'correct' sides.

WHat you have is not all that uncommon, which is why many valves can be reversed to resolve it.

Riles

Reaction score
Turn the cartridge around as shown and Terry discussed above. Many, but not all, shower valves allow you to rotate the cartridge to account for the lines being reversed. This is most common when there are back-t0-back bathrooms that use a common supply...On one of them, you need to rotate the cartridge, or require a convoluted piping arrangement to get both with the hot/cold on the 'correct' sides.

WHat you have is not all that uncommon, which is why many valves can be reversed to resolve it.[/QUOTE

Got it!
Thank you for your help!

tireflat

Reaction score
This is the answer I found on the Home Depot forums and it worked for me:

Hey Laura, I just wanted to clarify, If you replaced the entire cartridge you should have the new model (RP46074) which (aside from the stem that comes out) is all plastic. If this is the case, you would turn the Rotational Limit Stop Counterclockwise. However, if you have an old cartrige (pre 2006) where there is a toothed brass ring with a plastic limit stop that fits on top of the toothed part you would need to turn the Rotational Limit Stop clockwise to adjust the temp up.

I hope this clears up any confusion. :smileysurprised:

-Blake

http://community.homedepot.com/howt...er-Repairpressuretemp-problem-9065000000007sy

This solved both of my problems. The handle fully turns and I get hot water. Since Delta discontinued the old cartridges, why couldn't they have told us of this, I can't fathom.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks