New deep well pump , pulling up a some sand

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I am in southern Mexico and have a well that is about 25 metres deep, just a 4 inch PVC pipe . it was drilled about 4 years ago and I have been using a 1hp above ground pump which is fine until the dry season when the water table drops. I had a 1 hp deep well pump installed and now have plenty of pressure to pump up to my storage tanks about 10 meters above on the house . the pump is about 1/2 meter off the bottom of the well . the water was pretty dirty at first but cleaned up nice after about 5 minutes. The only problem is some sand getting sucked up .i notice it in the pool when i add water, not a big deal , but I'm just wondering if I pull the pump up another 1/2 meter if it would help or if I just run the pump for along time if it will clear up. the pressure coming out is really strong and i don`t know if it will damage the pump if I try to restrict the flow with a filter above ground. thanks for any help

Reach4

Reaction score
I would raise it to 3 meters or more from the bottom. You are still able to pull from much deeper than you could before.

A 1 HP submersible pump is generally overkill for this application I think.

There are devices that can detect if you are running out of water, and shut the pump down for a while.

Reaction score
yeah I kinda thought that, 1/2 hp would have been plenty. I don`t even use it that much. I just turn it on when I need to fill up the tanks or water the property. thanks for the advice

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Might just need to develop the well. Sounds like it was never done. Pump the well hard for an hour or so. Shut off the pump for 20 minutes, and pump for another hour. Keep doing this until it stops making sand.

If it still makes sand raising it a little may help, but may not. Using a ball valve to restrict the flow to half or so may also help. You can restrict that pump all the way down to 1 GPM if needed without hurting the pump, which is the same as replacing with a smaller pump.

Reaction score
so a ball valve like on my pool lines and just turn it a bit? that won`t put to much pressure on the pump? i also thought of putting a filter on it , one big enough to handle the pressure.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Might just need to develop the well. Sounds like it was never done. Pump the well hard for an hour or so. Shut off the pump for 20 minutes, and pump for another hour. Keep doing this until it stops making sand.

If it still makes sand raising it a little may help, but may not. Using a ball valve to restrict the flow to half or so may also help. You can restrict that pump all the way down to 1 GPM if needed without hurting the pump, which is the same as replacing with a smaller pump.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks