New construction with red/blue Uponor PEX-A tubing - replace or OK?

Users who are viewing this thread

sklett

Reaction score
Hello,

We've been building a house and the rough plumbing was done about a year ago, but we're just now getting ready for insulation and drywall. Long story.
The reason I'm writing this is that I happened across a story a few weeks back regarding a class action lawsuit for Uponor Red and Blue pipe. Apparently the process they used to apply the ink results in prematurely aging the pipe and cracking failures at the expansion points.

Turns out my house is full of the Uponor red/blue pipe. So I walk around and I look to the ceiling and wonder if I should be paying to have it all pulled out and replaced with the plain clear pipe? House is terribly over budget already and the relationship between the builder and the plumber that did the work is in shambles (money issues).

Are any of you aware of the issue with this Uponor pipe and can you provide any guidance? I'm really struggling to understand if I have a problem or not with this pipe. Would you remove it or pull it?

Regards,
Steve

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I see they are still selling the colored pipe even though there are references to it being discontinued.
To be clear, (no pun intended), confirm the brand of your pex. I think the problem is only Uponor / Aquapex, and I don't think they are selling those in red and blue today. Check the markings.

They do sell clear with red or blue ink. They do sell colored sleeves. I am not a pro.

sklett

Reaction score
To be clear, (no pun intended), confirm the brand of your pex. I think the problem is only Uponor / Aquapex, and I don't think they are selling those in red and blue today. Check the markings.

They do sell clear with red or blue ink. They do sell colored sleeves. I am not a pro.
I mention Uponor in the title but will add it to the message body as well.

You're correct that Uponor lists the colored pipe as "Not available" but many reputable, high volume dealers are still selling it. (e.g., SupplyHouse.com and Ferguson)

Reach4

Reaction score
You're correct that Uponor lists the colored pipe as "Not available" but many reputable, high volume dealers are still selling it. (e.g., SupplyHouse.com and Ferguson)
I just checked SH. Don't see it. I see oxygen barrier for heating. I see sleeves. But not Uponor PEX-A in red or blue.

sklett

Reaction score
I just checked SH. Don't see it. I see oxygen barrier for heating. I see sleeves. But not Uponor PEX-A in red or blue.

I saw this item on SupplyHouse which shows the red and blue AquaPex. I read the description though and it describes the pipe as
F4240500 - 1/2" Uponor AquaPEX White w/ Red Print...
Seems like an outdated picture and that the kit actually comes with the natural colored pipe. I've edited my message to remove the claim I'm seeing it sold because it truly seems like it's been dropped or is being dropped by everyone.

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
Hello,

We've been building a house and the rough plumbing was done about a year ago, but we're just now getting ready for insulation and drywall. Long story.
The reason I'm writing this is that I happened across a story a few weeks back regarding a class action lawsuit for Uponor Red and Blue pipe. Apparently the process they used to apply the ink results in prematurely aging the pipe and cracking failures at the expansion points.

Turns out my house is full of the Uponor red/blue pipe. So I walk around and I look to the ceiling and wonder if I should be paying to have it all pulled out and replaced with the plain clear pipe? House is terribly over budget already and the relationship between the builder and the plumber that did the work is in shambles (money issues).

Are any of you aware of the issue with this Uponor pipe and can you provide any guidance? I'm really struggling to understand if I have a problem or not with this pipe. Would you remove it or pull it?

Regards,
Steve

I would contact Uponor directly and explain that the pipe in question was professionally installed (they'll know they can't deny a claim because it was installed by the homeowner directly). Write down all run numbers on the pipe in case they need them. Ask them point blank if the problem was corrected or not. Since the pipe was pulled from the market entirely, I'd bet real money they never changed the procedure to color the pipes.

If the pipe was never fixed, maybe Uponor will assist in repiping the house.

Honestly, if it were me, I'd repipe it even if Uponor tells you to pound sand. The walls are open: you'll never have a better opportunity than right now. I know you're over budget but it will cost 10X as much to repipe ten years from now, and you won't believe how fast 10 years will go by. I'm not OCD by any means but the thought of that time-bomb pipe behind my sheetrock would keep me up nights.

John

Clutchcargo

Reaction score
I agree with JohnCT above, now's the time. The only thing is that you have to replace with uponor again unless you want to change all the fittings as well.
With that said, I can't imagine that replacing the piping will be super expensive since all the holes are drilled and the layout is already thought out and in place. Who knows though, I always try to try to over-estimate how much plumbing will cost and the price is always multiples more than my lofty estimates. Good luck to you and let us know what happens with this.

sklett

Reaction score
JohnCT and Clutchcargo have convinced me. I'm meeting with a plumber tomorrow morning to get a price to do the work. I'll probably do it with him.
I'm OK with using Uponor, I like the system and feel it's safe. One of the challenges is going to be getting the extra 4-5" of branch lines so we can tie into the larger red/blue lines after cutting out the tees.
I feel better now that I've decided to replace it.

Thanks for the replies and guidance.
Have a happy Thanksgiving.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
One thing to consider regardless, all of the PEX manufacturers require their pipe to not be exposed to UV for more than one month...you said your walls were not enclosed and it's been a year. That, depending on where the tubing is in relation to windows, could be a bigger issue.

You don't need an oxygen barrier pex unless you're dealing with hydronic heating...depending on how the O2 barrier is implemented might dictate what fittings must be used.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks